The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had the privilege of becoming the steward of this very early nineteen-hundreds, Vega parlor. It's (afaik) impossible to date it to a specific year. All I know is, the original owner died at Vimy Ridge -- so pre-1917.

It was advertised as Brazilian. When I went to see it, I couldn't get past that it didn't look like I expected Brazilian to look. Being a family heirloom, I tread carefully. I told the great, great, grandson, 'I needed to think about it. Not saying it isn't Brazilian, but it's not what I was expecting.'

Thought about it. Couple of weeks later, I called the chap, and asked if I could see it one more time. He agreed, and I took the short drive. Closed my eyes and just played it for a couple of minutes. I judged it by how it played, and sounded.

Told the seller, "I'm not convinced it's rosewood, but I am convinced it doesn't matter."

It's always kinda special to play something that old.

Extra special feeling tonight, as dawn approaches. Kinda feel like I'm in church.

With french wine on my breath.

I've got a file, with pic's I borrowed from google search, on slideshow. Here's a few.

(none of these photo's are my own -- except the 3 colour Vega)

To those who've served, or are serving, Thank You.

Lest we forget.

·
Premium Member
16,829 Posts
Lovely post, congrats on your new guitar.

I *think* brazilian rosewood maintains it's chocolate-esque scent. The smell test should tell you right away.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Beautiful. I come from a Military background and my Grandfather was the go to Piano player for the boys in WW2 stationed in Italy. Your post holds some special meaning to me and my family.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Budda, marcos, Swervin55, and Dorian.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
To those who've served, or are serving, Thank You.

Lest we forget.
Thanks for posting this. I wanted to post something myself but couldn't figure out an elegant way to do it.

My grandfather fought at Vimy and like many of his fellow soldiers as a reward for winning the battle he was sent to Passchendaele where he was WIA and invalided to Albertville before being sent home. He walked with a limp for the rest of his life and he was one of the lucky ones. His limp was a constant reminder of his service to me. My father was in the service in WWII, but was young enough to be sent over in the occupying forces after the fighting was over.

I hate wars...but I hate the people who start them a lot more.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092082/

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Rozz, I appreciate your family's service, and your post as well.

Reactions: Rozz

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Looking at it, it is hard to believe it is over 100 years old. It is in very good shape, judging by the pictures and your observations on how it sounds. I am not into vintage guitars but that one would be hard to pass up.

Reactions: Blind Dog
1 - 9 of 9 Posts