The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So was offered an strat for my lesPaul standard . It is tempting but this is my first actual pay check in like three weeks lol . So I’m like hmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Its all about what type of music you play. They are valued about the same. Black strats are a dime a dozen and ugly red epi Les pauls about the same. The black strat you can dress up with a nice red Pearl or black moto pick guard but the Les Paul you are stuck with.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If someone offered me a MIM strat that was in good condition and a finish I liked, for my epiphone LP, I would take the trade almost without even thinking about it... but that could just be because of my recent Gibson LP purchase hehe..

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
What, exactly, does a paycheck have to do with it? If it's a straight trade it just comes down to which you prefer, value is pretty even.
I'm out of the loop but what does a paycheck have to do with this? o_O As Dave mentioned they are about the same value.....I think.

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
if you swapped out the hardware and electronics on both guitars, the mexi would come way closer to fender american than epi would to gibson. but that's by design.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,100 Posts
What, exactly, does a paycheck have to do with it? If it's a straight trade it just comes down to which you prefer, value is pretty even.
Means he got paid, duh! :p

·
Registered
18,559 Posts
I would keep the EPI. I think it is a more versatile guitar but that's just me.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was on vacation for two weeks so this is my first since the end of September actually getting a normal pay and don’t have all my rent money . Woops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L

·
0 Posts
I agree with the above comments that they're both at equal value.
It comes down to feel.
There's the scale length difference (24.75 vs 25.5) and for me,
I find the strat's middle pup gets in the way sometimes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Q1: How do you gel with the Epi? Could you part with it? Is the guitar "right" for you?

Q2: Can you try the strat?

Q3: if no to Q2, have you played a strat?

As other have stated, they are on par in trade, but if you haven't considered the above questions, I think you are missing parts of the puzzle. I have some low-end guitars that are right for me that I would not part with. I've had high end guitars that just didn't pan out.

I've owned Les Pauls, wanted one, and remember going to a store to walk away with one, although I was always intrigued by an SG. Tried an SG for the first time and within 5 minutes knew that guitar was for me (sorry LP).

Lots of things to think about!

Reactions: bigboki and Scotty

·
Premium Member
9,690 Posts
Even trade in value. Depends what you want.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Keep the one that moves you the most. I have a strat and LP. I play them both differently, and they are two entirely different animals.
Speaking of this - our own Pete Thorn recently on Guitarcon commented on this.
Let me try to find that video (will not be easy)
from 10th minute:
at 10:20 he is talking exactly about this - how you need to play them differently.

watch whole video it is great one (of course IMHO)

yours Bojan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts