The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and are are sitting in the living room and we're hearing tunes that sound possibly like a live garage band. Of course I head out to "investigate", 'cause it's what I do. Our house is right at the end of a long alley a house to the right. I head down the alley trying to find the source. It's getting a bit clearer after a block, still walking. We live on the North end of the alley and the walk is downhill South BTW....not that the directions matter, but the slope sure does. Alley goes down a bit after a block then begins to level out. Goes down again after 2 or 3 and I get to the Avenue 4 blocks away. This is the low end of the alley. The tunes were still no where in sight but getting a bit clearer and muddier.

After walking back home up the incline of the alley, mud turns to low mids and gets progessivelly louder and at our house the sound is the loudest, with a ton of reverb in between. I didn't know where to post this, but is there a name for this phenomenon. The alley is basically a large Phonograph or something and we're at the exit.

Pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Cool! I'm presuming the possible 'garage band' you heard was the Guns N Roses concert. I know folks out past Londonderry Mall that heard it.
Sorry- I don't know the name of the phenomenon though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,080 Posts
Cool! I'm presuming the possible 'garage band' you heard was the Guns N Roses concert. I know folks out past Londonderry Mall that heard it.
I bet you're 100% right! People I know who live in the downtown area say G&R was way louder than Metallica was at their place.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh FFS. Were GnR playing that night? Haha. It was GnR that was playing. Thought some dude was playing either a wicked live album (when I got down to 149A Ave there). Someone I talked to on the way there said he didn't think it was live. It seriously sounded too good. Must've been an incredible concert, because what I heard on 153rd Ave was clear as a bell. For those not familiar with Edmonton, GnR played the Stadium which is on 112 Avenue. That's a minuscule 40 blocks away haha.

I heard it like this once before, but not nearly as crisp and prestine. That was The Stones at the Stadium back in the 80's or 90's...probably the 90's.

Crazy!

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
After walking back home up the incline of the alley, mud turns to low mids and gets progessivelly louder and at our house the sound is the loudest, with a ton of reverb in between. I didn't know where to post this, but is there a name for this phenomenon. The alley is basically a large Phonograph or something and we're at the exit.

Pretty cool.
I think the term you are looking for is 'parabolic', as in parabolic reflector (which gathers all the energy and focuses it on one spot).

One of my part-time evening jobs in Calgary in the late 80's was riding my motorcycle around McMann Stadium during events to monitor the levels of the new flown PA installed for the 88 Oly's. Much better than the previous distributed system, the new point source system bothered a lot of neighbors if you just leaned a little bit into the console.

But of course that building doesn't have a roof on it. And it wasn't GnR, mostly just football announcing. GnR's in the LM tonight - but I'm gigging so I'll have to miss it. I'm sure I'd never pay the price even if I wasn't.

Reactions: Dorian2
1 - 7 of 7 Posts