The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many years now I have been looking for a decent overdrive pedal that doesnt sound like a fizzy tone robber... :)

I think I have tried at least half dozen over the years and although some sounded OK I think I found what I need today. On a whim I took home an Ibanez tube screamer to try out. Read a lot about them, never paid too much attention. It is a really nice, full sounding pedal without too much gain, just enough to give a nice punch. But most of all it doesnt sound thin.

AJC

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
When it comes to Tube Screamers I personally prefer the Maxon OD-9. It sort of sounds like an 'improved' version of the Tube Screamer to my ears.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Living in Northern Onario, you dont have the luxury of getting to a larger store too often to try out stuff. The local (well, 1 1/2 hour drive away) music shop had one in so I took it to try out. I was tired of ordering stuff online that failed to live up to my expectations.

I have read the maxon clone is a great pedal but the originals are OK too so that made me take it.

AJC

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just had a rehersal tonight... the tube screamer is what I needed. The tone is great, it pushes both my tube heads jiust enough and sounds great!

Its so much better than what I had tried before.

AJC

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I've got a TS-9 Reissue with the Monte Allum mods. I have many od's but she is the only one I would never part with.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
ajcoholic said:
I have read the maxon clone is a great pedal but the originals are OK too so that made me take it.

AJC
Technically the Tube Screamer is the clone. Maxon made the electronics for the first Tube Screamers. Their current design is closer to the original then the Ibanez RI's.

·
Registered
53 Posts
torndownunit said:
When it comes to Tube Screamers I personally prefer the Maxon OD-9. It sort of sounds like an 'improved' version of the Tube Screamer to my ears.
OD-9 is a nice pedal but i found that the true bypass isn't really true bypass!

what i love about the tubescreamers are that they can be modded to do anything from a clean boost to a high gain sustain machine!

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts