The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24,686 Posts
T'was an interesting period, to be sure. Don't forget to add the S-1, the L-6s, and the RD. It wasn't that any of those were bad products. There was some interesting design help from folks like Bill Lawrence. They just weren't what folks were expecting from Gibson at that time.

For many buyers, it was like your wife or girlfriend coming home with a radically different hair cut and hair colour. I mean, it's not like there is anything important that is missing, but it just feels....wrong and awkwardly weird.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
I wish Gibson would stick to one thing (or three), and do it well. The ridiculous number of models and their variations are mind boggling, and make it a huge challenge to find what you want, old or new. Rant over :D

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
The Sonex is great too - look for the custom version (better pickups - both rows of poles adjustable and 4 vs 2 wire so there's a coil tap). I did not know they were Bill Lawrence designs, but they've been the yardstick against witch I measure all other humbuckers. Not hot by today's standards, but they were considered hot back in the day.

Don't forget to add the S-1, the L-6s, and the RD.
Those were all 70s models (but production continued into the 80s) - I suspect that's why there were not included.

The S-1 (also BL pups) has the same pups as the G3 bass and is a pretty great guitar but no longer a sleeper; people are on to it and prices have gone up accordingly. RDs are great too, especially the Artists - nichey tho; better for heavy or fx laden things due to their inherant brightness (all maple + the electronics) though the boost +cut tone controls really help with that. The FX mode is great too (expansion on the bridge pup into heavy OD/Dist is very nice). Later ones had a CMT (curly maple top) variant with binding and bright/normal/fx mode broken out to 2 switches vs 1 (so you could use bright and fx at the same time, but I suspect that it would cause permanent hearing damage). Never been a fan of the L6-S (which was the guitar counteropart to the Ripper bass,, as the S-1 to the G3).

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
They had some interesting stuff.

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
I wish Gibson would stick to one thing (or three), and do it well. The ridiculous number of models and their variations are mind boggling, and make it a huge challenge to find what you want, old or new. Rant over :D

Yes, I agree (well maybe 6 or 8). Same goes just as much for Fender too. How many interpretations of the Strat and Tele do we really need?

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
Yes, I agree (well maybe 6 or 8). Same goes just as much for Fender too. How many interpretations of the Strat and Tele do we really need?
As long as it puts food on the table ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts