The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking I need to try a nylon string guitar. I find I need to live with a guitar for a while before I make up my mind. Trying them in a store isn't doing it for me. Looking for recommendations for a used nylon string in the $250 - $400 range. Preferably something that if I don't like it I can get my money back down the road. Thanks.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I picked up a CG - 101MS Yamaha, they say it's their entry offering--once you're serious about it. I got it for $60 minty. Today's dollars, worth about $650. I played it quite a bit. It was a fun guitar, and it sounded good & played well. I passed it on to a grandson type. Nato b/s, solid cedar top. I told the seller I thought they had undervalued it. The lady said she just got tired of it being, 'behind the door'. Just wanted it gone. I think she expected buyer to offer $50, but I just don't bother to dicker/draw blood when they're already being more than fair.

I would get to know the Yamaha models, and there's usually a deal out there. Anything up from a 101 would be a bonus.

Sixties Yamaha Dynamics are well thought of, budget friendly, and designed for nylon or steel. There's one (a 50E?) in Kelowna (Castanet classifieds) for $125. They pop up from time to time. Never had one. Yet.

There seems to usually be a good deal on other brands too. (Just checking retail to asking price.) Sorry, just don't know much about them. A lot of quitters classical guitars out there, priced for quick sell. Or their parents bought them, so easy come, easy go.

I can't judge tone well with strangers about--in an acoustically dissimilar room. Speakers & guitars I need to live with too.

Best of luck.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Godin has a few. You could order one from L & M and if you don't like it, they will take it back. It may seem to some people that they are being used but that is the way they make sales and know there is a chance it may come back so I wouldn't feel too bad about using this as an option.

Reactions: Kerry Brown

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
In the range you are looking for, no doubt La Patrie would do it. The most seen and affordable model is "Etude".
I have one (currently at my son's house).
Looked on Kijjj BC : La Patrie Etude in Vancouver : 200$ ;-)
Found some on eB and r : overpriced !
I once owned a Cordoba (thin body model) but these are a little more expensive.
I suggest you use hard tension strings or, Savarez Corum mix.

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Dollar for dollar, it's hard to beat LaPatrie. Yes, they have a truss rod, which many people feel is unnecessary, but they also have fret markers on the top edge of the fingerboard, which, for me, sealed the deal - as at the time, no other manufacturers seemed to be doing this.

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
Over your budget but if you can swing it, the Godin Multiac’s are really nice. The shop Direct Music Sales in Quebec City sells a lot of new B stock at reduced prices. I bought a Duet with the slightly narrower nut width (compared to the traditional 2” classical nut width).

The electronics are good and the guitar unamplified sounds great. I was pleasantly surprised at what a great instrument the Multiac Duet is. There are less expensive models as well.

Good luck in your search.

Guitar String instrument Electric guitar Musical instrument Plucked string instruments

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Over your budget but if you can swing it, the Godin Multiac’s are really nice. The shop Direct Music Sales in Quebec City sells a lot of new B stock at reduced prices. I bought a Duet with the slightly narrower nut width (compared to the traditional 2” classical nut width).

The electronics are good and the guitar unamplified sounds great. I was pleasantly surprised at what a great instrument the Multiac Duet is. There are less expensive models as well.

Good luck in your search.

View attachment 232978
Good suggestion, Alex. I have seen a number of their guitars on eBay but could never find the store. I finally found it. It is a division of MUSIQUE GAGNÉ. Musique Gagné – Est.1888 | Musical Instruments Store

Reactions: Kerry Brown

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve thought about the Multiac’s and if I find I like the classical style of guitars one might be in my future. I found a La Patrie Etude on CL and put in an offer. If that doesn’t pan out there is a La Patrie Presentation that is at the higher end of my budget.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I picked up a used La Patrie Etude today. Best $150 I’ve spent in a long time. I guess I’ll finally learn to finger pick.
Thanks for all the help. I picked up a used La Patrie Etude today. Best $150 I’ve spent in a long time. I guess I’ll finally learn to finger pick.
I played one of those puppies last year when they were on sale at L&M for Boxing Day. Great sounding and playing guitars.Came really really close to buying one last Boxing Day at L&M. Have fun with finger (Classical) style. Pay real close attention to the beginning techniques of holding it, where your picking arm rests, alternate picking, and the free and rest strokes. They will stay with your playing style forever if you do em right and consistently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts