The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for awhile for a #2 gig guitar (main is always a Les Paul) that would give me the option of a decent acoustic sound. There are a few songs that an acoustic sound would be better than, say, a clean Strat sound.

Our other guitar player has a Godin Solidac, I think it sounds pretty good, and have been watching for a used one.

I was in L&M a couple of days ago, they had a used JTV59 Variax on the wall for $799. Now, being an old guy I am far out of the loop when it comes to anything electronic or modelling. It's made in Korea by Line 6, so I had to check it out on the net before I bought it.

Bonus is it's a dark cherry sunburst, almost an identical color to my R9.

I'm pretty impressed with it. Fit and finish is excellent. The acoustic sounds are good, the 12 string sounds are astonishing. And if I ever have to resort to a banjo tone I've got one :). And if I ever need it, turn off the electronics and it's a basic Les Paul back up guitar.

here's a link to the model on L&M
Line 6 - JTV-59 James Tyler Variax - Cherry Sunburst

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
Well, it looks like you have certainly done your homework. I have never even given this guitar a look until now. It is a very versatile guitar from what I can see. Personally, I think you got a winner. Enjoy!

Reactions: dwagar

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does that one have the Sitar setting? If so, it's a whole heap of fun.
lol, yes it does. I don't know where I'd use it, but I'm sure I can surprise the band mates one day with it.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shortest guitar honeymoon ever. Electronics died this AM - so I've logged about 2 hours play time on it.
It's back to L&M, hopefully they can repair it in a reasonable amount of time. I would guess this is why it was traded in.

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
shortest guitar honeymoon ever. Electronics died this AM - so I've logged about 2 hours play time on it.
It's back to L&M, hopefully they can repair it in a reasonable amount of time. I would guess this is why it was traded in.
That's too bad. It could be something really simple like a loose wire. I guess you'll know soon.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
at least it's covered under their performance warranty. If they can't fix it, I'll move on to something else. But, I really, really like how this puppy sounds when it works.

·
Premium Member
18,816 Posts
at least it's covered under their performance warranty. If they can't fix it, I'll move on to something else. But, I really, really like how this puppy sounds when it works.
If this doesn't work out and you want an acoustic and sweet electric, add a piezo system to something and run that through one of the Fishman DI/sim pedals. A friend of mine has a parts tele in this config and the acoustic sounds are stunning.

Hopefully they solve it!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep I charged it for 4 1/2 hours. And the leds still show it as full. The knob lights come on, but there is no sound. Works fine passive with the variax shut off.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If this doesn't work out and you want an acoustic and sweet electric, add a piezo system to something and run that through one of the Fishman DI/sim pedals. A friend of mine has a parts tele in this config and the acoustic sounds are stunning.
If they can't fix it, I think this is a great plan. My MIJ Tele is probably a good platform for it.

·
Premium Member
27,225 Posts
Local forum member Player99 brought me his Variax to repair a few years ago. Vascular brain surgery would have probably been easier. During the process, one of the teensy surface-mount resistors was sweated off the board. I was terrified that it might have fallen off the bench and onto the indoor/outdoor carpeting on the floor of the garage....where it would never be found ever again. I didn't have a replacement, and we didn't have a schematic to know what it should be. Richard spotted something on the bench that looked a bit like a spec of solder and asked "Is that it?". Fortunately, it was, and I was able to get it back on the board with a lot of trouble. He brought the unit home and miracle of miracles, it worked.

Tiniest repair I've ever done in my life, and I've actually done brain surgery (on rats, mind you).

As I understand it, Line 6 will likely supply a replacement board. It may involve shipping charges, but the board should simply plug in.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I hope so. I'll let L&M sort it out.

This is one that has to stay covered under the performance warranty.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update, the L&M tech said the battery is shot. I guess even though it fully charges maybe it has an internal short or something.
They'll get a replacement in and we'll see if that fixes it up. Sure hope it's that simple.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Update, the L&M tech said the battery is shot. I guess even though it fully charges maybe it has an internal short or something.
They'll get a replacement in and we'll see if that fixes it up. Sure hope it's that simple.
That's a reasonable explanation. Batteries can acquire a high internal resistance through repeated charge/discharge cycles and although they show a fully charged voltage (which is what your lights indicate), they can't supply enough current to run the circuit. Replacing the battery is the solution.

But I would probably keep paying the extra year-to-year warranty charges for the next year or two. Cheap insurance for something that complicated.

Reactions: dwagar

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
I was going to suggest that but I thought that was too simple. Maybe I'm too simple!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts