The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,933 Posts
That's awesome, that is.

My 25 year old Craftsman bandsaw died recently and I would love a new and better one, but I am limited by the cellar stairs and headroom.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's awesome, that is.

My 25 year old Craftsman bandsaw died recently and I would love a new and better one, but I am limited by the cellar stairs and headroom.
If you need any resawing done, I can help out.

Rikon makes a similar saw - 10-326 that has 13” of resaw capacity and a 1-3/4hp motor. It comes on a separate base and would be better suited for getting down the stairs. I considered that saw, but ultimately wanted the higher hp (this one has a 3hp motor).

·
Premium Member
5,160 Posts
She's a beauty! I don't think there is a better machine available on the market. Congrats. That's a game changer for sure.

I've got an older 14" bandsaw with only 6" of vertical cut capacity......and it's not enough. I want to be able to cut the top off a heavy body blank, hollow it out and then put the same top back on. Someday........

·
Premium Member
10,933 Posts
If you need any resawing done, I can help out.

Rikon makes a similar saw - 10-326 that has 13” of resaw capacity and a 1-3/4hp motor. It comes on a separate base and would be better suited for getting down the stairs. I considered that saw, but ultimately wanted the higher hp (this one has a 3hp motor).
Much appreciated, but I think I have a friend nearby who could do the little I need. Thanks too for the heads up on the other model!

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For any other builders in the SWO area, I can help out with resawing needs.

I’ve also been considering offering
She's a beauty! I don't think there is a better machine available on the market. Congrats. That's a game changer for sure.

I've got an older 14" bandsaw with only 6" of vertical cut capacity......and it's not enough. I want to be able to cut the top off a heavy body blank, hollow it out and then put the same top back on. Someday........
I have a “standard” 14” Delta bandsaw too - I keep that one set up with a 1/4” blade for cutting guitar outlines. Same 6” resaw capacity.

I once did a chambered guitar as you described. The lumber supplier cut the top off for me. With my new saw I can do it myself. Resaw capacity is just over 14” in this one.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I really need a good bandsaw with a fence. I've been drooling over the table top Rikon every time I've been into Lee Valley (often). Did you find it through them?

·
Premium Member
5,160 Posts
@ga20t Amazon.ca also carries all the Rikon models, for a bit more money that Elite Tools. Elite is hard to beat.

I was looking at a model 10-325 "deluxe bandsaw". 13" resaw capacity and 1-1/2hp. Priced about $1K less than the professional model Ayr bought.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
For any other builders in the SWO area, I can help out with resawing needs.

I’ve also been considering offering

I have a “standard” 14” Delta bandsaw too - I keep that one set up with a 1/4” blade for cutting guitar outlines. Same 6” resaw capacity.

I once did a chambered guitar as you described. The lumber supplier cut the top off for me. With my new saw I can do it myself. Resaw capacity is just over 14” in this one.
Wow 14" is awseome!

What blades are you running?

I use R & D 1/2" 3 tpi skip tooth blades as my go-to, but I don't do any serious resawing (14" Beaver 3300).

Nathan

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow 14" is awseome!

What blades are you running?

I use R & D 1/2" 3 tpi skip tooth blades as my go-to, but I don't do any serious resawing (14" Beaver 3300).

Nathan
Right now it has the stock blade; I really haven't even used it yet other than a couple test cuts. I'm finishing up a few other projects, going to be spraying soon. Once those are done I will get this one dialled in.

Not sure which blade I will be using yet - will definitely be from R&D. I am going to start with the Woodslicer Swift, most likely 3/4" blade. Its a 0.025" blade, the same as the 5/8" and this saw definitely has the power to run a wider blade.

·
Administrator
15,988 Posts
Did you buy that!? Everyone I know either inherits or steals them from their dad's toolbox. :cool:
I started my working life as an assembler and had to buy my own tools. The one I have is so old I couldn't find a picture of it :) I have a more modern version that is only about 25 years old or so.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts