The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know theres a lot of dog lovers on this site, so I had to post this warning (Not Safe For Pet Lovers) :) , as its probably going to go over as well as a Pro-Trump discussion lol.
Last week we dropped off our "family" (2 dogs and 2 cats) at the in-laws, so they can look after them when we leave for our vacation shortly.
Although I love all our animals (2 of them have been with us for about 15 years, one other for just a few years less), the past few days has been heaven! I love the freedom of being able to go out for the whole day/evening without having to truncate our plans for a feeding/ bathroom break schedule.
Not getting woken up several hours earlier on the weekend because *somebody* cant wait for the same breakfast they've eaten for 10 years+. and the relief from constantly cleaning up puke and feces, is just priceless.

Yes, i know I'm a horrible person for saying it, but whenever ppl talk about pets, it gets over-romanticized and no one ever talks about how tiresome the other parts of the "pet lifestyle" can be, so I just had to get it off my chest.
again, I love all our pets dearly, but as they are advancing in age, while I will miss them dearly when the time comes, I am looking forward to an eventual pet-free life for awhile....at least until my daughter is a teenager and wants to spend as little time with her parents as possible. Then, i'll prob get a dog or cat again...but JUST ONE, lol. when they outnumber the human adults in a household, you've got a problem.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Ooh boy, I am completely on your side with this. We have only one pet, a dog, who is going on 10 and while she has been part of our family and a great companion, the constant shedding, slobbering, the surgery for a thyroid issue that didn't solve the problem, various medications and emergency vet visits - I think we are at 6 and counting - and general maintenance is tiresome.
Now we are dealing with some kind of bladder issue where after a run or mtn bike ride, she lays around on the laminate floor and "leaks". My wife treats her like a child, which I suppose is only right, and is taking her to the vet to check this out.
A comment on getting a pet for your daughter when she's a teenager - that's what we did but our daughter had little time for a dog with her friends and activities plus she wasn't too into cleaning up after the pooch. It ended up that my wife and I became the primary dog care giver and now our daughter plays the roll of favourite aunt when she comes to visit.

·
Premium Member
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooh boy, I am completely on your side with this. We have only one pet, a dog, who is going on 10 and while she has been part of our family and a great companion, the constant shedding, slobbering, the surgery for a thyroid issue that didn't solve the problem, various medications and emergency vet visits - I think we are at 6 and counting - and general maintenance is tiresome.
Now we are dealing with some kind of bladder issue where after a run or mtn bike ride, she lays around on the laminate floor and "leaks". My wife treats her like a child, which I suppose is only right, and is taking her to the vet to check this out.
A comment on getting a pet for your daughter when she's a teenager - that's what we did but our daughter had little time for a dog with her friends and activities plus she wasn't too into cleaning up after the pooch. It ended up that my wife and I became the primary dog care giver and now our daughter plays the roll of favourite aunt when she comes to visit.
sorry to hear of your troubles. I doubt our oldest dog will see 2018...shes already skating on July ice in terms of life expectancy... now she seems to struggle standing up, half the time when she does she lets out a poop nugget from straining herself to stand up. The tough part is, mentally/cognitively shes still all there and wants to keep going. But the body needs a replacement.it makes it harder to think of putting her down if she takes a turn for the worst. when our previous dog had pancreatic cancer, although fairly sudden, it was actually easier as she seemed to lose the will to live, stopped eating, etc.

I may not have been clear, I wasn't planning on getting another dog for my daughter when shes a teenager, its for me :) to fill in the gaps of time when shes far too busy to hang with old dad. I know at that age, all shes going to want is space, privacy, money and a car. not the responsibility of a pet.

·
Registered
472 Posts
We just had to say goodbye to our 16 year old dachshund last Wednesday. Boy did we ever cry a lot. But, it was time. But, in line with the first post in this thread, not missing the 5am barking for breakfast, cleaning up feces, urine. Just shampooed the living room carpet today. Not all the stains are gone but meh, thats the way it goes. We will most likely get another but not for a while. We can so relate to having to plan your going out schedule around meal times and potty breaks. We can now plan an actual vacation without having to pay someone to come and stay with the dog. Yes, the house sure feels so totally different. Still expecting him to bark at me when I won't give him some bread crust from my sandwich. Still stopping to check where I am walking so I don't trip over him. And all kinds of other accomodations we made for him. Don't resent a single one. Thats just living with Harley. Heart still aches - literally.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Was sad to see my dog go after 14 years but my wife and I didn't get another one. Its been about 4 years and we've enjoyed the freedom and can't see our selves doing the puppy thing again.

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
There's not much that bugs me when it comes to dogs. We have the hair thing under control. I hate taking care of puppies, but I'm passed that stage. My wife takes care of the new pup.

It's kinda nice to have things worship the ground you walk on.

You guys like my shag rug?

IMG_4240.JPG

·
Premium Member
11,061 Posts

A frequent break from George Armstrong Cat is essential, he's a pain in the ass.

A day without Otis Dog isn't without some heartache, and since I work from home we don't get a break from each other unless I don't take him when I head north or go fishing.

For several years we had to leave the dogs in the care of friends or family while we did a gig in NS for 9 days. That was hard, and as well as they were cared for, the dogs we had then wouldn't let me out of their sight for weeks after...not that I minded, I'm kind of a dog myself.

I get the OP though, it's understandable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts