The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few tries, I think I may have just found my dream speakers... The Celestion Neo Creambacks.

They're 60 watts each, and described as being like a M65 Creamback, but with a hint of the H75 Creamback. And best of all, for a gigging musician, they're crazy light! This will help me a great deal as I can now load in/out more comfortabley, and feel more secure lending out my cab to a band on the same bill, not having to think that the speakers will blow (I used to have the 25 watt greenbacks).

I just installed them today and played with them for a couple of hours, so I'm definitely in honeymoon phase here. A more proper test will come tomorrow when I play with the band.

I had them installed in a Traynor YBX212 hooked up to a Traynor YBA-1MOD1.

I've had other speakers installed before in this cab: 1) the original V30s, 2) Greenbacks, and most recently a Jensen Tornado.

Some quick observations:

It is very close to a greenback in the mid-range. I like it a lot better than the greenback in the low end, but miss a bit some of the gnarly highs of the greenback. Overall it's tighter than a greenback but not in a bad way. Where the greenback can start getting flubby at high volumes, this speaker seems to stay consistent. The Neo Creamback devours dirt. It loves everything from crunch, to distortion, to out of control fuzz. Simply, it's a fantastic rock n' roll speaker.

My only negative comment may have something to do with the high end. I read somewhere (maybe TGP?) where a single person said that the Neo Creamback sounds a bit congested/muffled. I think others may hear this as well. It is certainly not a bright speaker. But that's exactly what I want. I would always err on the side of warm than bright.

Another thing to note is that for whatever reason in finding the perfect EQ controls on the amp for the speaker, I ended up very close to noon across most of the dials which was encouraging. It seems like the amp and the speakers are a great fit.

Last observation, I find this to be the least directional speaker I've had thus far, which is fantastic.

I'll give another update tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
12,893 Posts
That's interesting. How much weight did you save over the other combinations?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's interesting. How much weight did you save over the other combinations?
Well the V30s are 10.4 pounds each. The greenbacks are 7.9 and the Neos are 4.2. So I've saved 12.4 pounds from the original V30 combination. In the middle of winter going up/down stairs at 3am that will feel like night and day compared to the stock configuration!

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
I love Creamback 65's in my fender combo amps, making them a few pounds lighter would be a great. Keep us posted, if they work out for you long term I may try one or two.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I just came back from playing with the band. I love these speakers!

I would just add three things to my initial observations:

1) The low end has incredible thump. Both the bassist and drummer in the band told me that they honestly thought they wouldn't be able to tell the difference with the speaker change. But after hearing them, both felt that the change was substantial particularly on the low end. I would say compared to the speakers I've had in the past, the low end is more in the V30 territory than the greenback. But the mids are all greenback, with no ice-pick whatsoever.

2) It is an inefficient speaker (97 db), so I had to crank the amp past where I normally have it. I was very happy to do this to get it to a satisfyingly crunchy pedal platform.

3) The feel. Some people diss neo speakers for their "feel" in terms of how they interact with your playing. The Neo Creamback feels like a regular ceramic Celestion to me.

·
Premium Member
16,964 Posts
Great info, thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts