The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pedalboard feb 2016.jpg

The Boss DD-500 is one hell of a unit! I have it on rental for one month at L&M, and then I will be buying it outright. The rental is just to get set up/make sure it does the trick, and have time to move my Flashback X4.

I wanted the opportunities to keep up with my bandmates DL4's wild side, and the DD-500 makes a pretty good go of it! I had read the manual and a 39-page TGP thread already so I knew some of the deep editing options before I even laid eyes on it. I still found it very intuitive and easy to get up and running. I'm using it with the Artist V into a Marshall MG15, soon to be into garage band instead.

The main seller for me is the parameters you can control without needing your computer. The Tap/CTL feature is very handy - you can set it up for some cool stuff. With this pedal, you're able to limit the number of banks you want to use. That was great for me to learn, as I had trouble with the Empress VMSD regarding overwriting and changing presets. The Flashback requires you to hold the button to save a preset, whereas this requires you to use the exit/edit buttons simultaneously. This means I can't accidentally change my space echo to 2290 in the middle of a gig (which I have done). It is very easy to bank up and down, and there is a system setting for banking wherein the unit will wait until a switch is pressed to change banks, or change automatically.

Having the Tera Echo and SFX options open up some weirdness for live use, which I look forward to dialling in. I think our producer is going to have a blast with this when I get in the studio next month.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
That looks really cool. I'm not a huge fan of presets (same experience as you, VMSD, good sounds but the presets were difficult to program and to access) but this looks a lot easier to use.

·
Premium Member
17,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@zdogma much easier to use, and I never have to worry about the accidental overwrite.

Reactions: zdogma

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Hey Budda, can i get a link to the TGP chatter. (the useful stuff, not rants)

·
Premium Member
17,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: bzrkrage

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Thanks Budda, I rented one from L&M for the month at 1/2 price, for shits'n'giggles.

Sent from my Other Brain

·
Premium Member
17,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was told the full value of the first month rental goes towards the purchase price if you decide to buy, but then I was told it's always 60%. I just didn't want to wait til saturday to pick the thing up haha. Let me know what you find!

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Yeah, 60% plus whatever you have left on rent.
Hell, I only rented it for $13!
For a month! I probably spent more on the coffee & gas to get there!

Sent from my Other Brain

·
Premium Member
17,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was $29 with theft protection. Not complaining, worth every penny to have time to sell my flashback haha.

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
So I went through the presets today, there is 60,(30 A&B) then repeated. Is that normal?
Loves? 08a LGP Delay (filter)
18a HPF Lo-Fo delay (filter)
23b Close to the end (tape)

Also,did you do the update from Boss already?

Sent from my Other Brain

·
Premium Member
17,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes that is how they are set up from factory. I only know that because someone posted every preset in the TGP thread haha.

I didn't know there was an udpate! I'll have to find a USB cable and actually get the unit home. It will be at the studio without me as of tomorrow.

I actually just sold my flashback tonight and put that towards what will be my total balance with L&M.

Reactions: bzrkrage

·
Premium Member
17,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! Anything cool in the update?

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Thanks! Anything cool in the update?
Turns out the updates are just drivers for your computer.

Sent from my Other Brain

·
Premium Member
17,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I learned that when I downloaded it today haha. I hope Boss doesn't sleep on the options to improve this pedal (and the manual!) but I do like what it can do as is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts