The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One pedal I've wanted for some time, but either had other things I wanted more (Or other stuff come up)--is an octave &/or pitch type pedal.

I've tried a lot of them out over the years--but for a variety of reasons never found the right one--although some were quite good at some things--the worst things though were poor tracking, nose & an auto-tune type whine.

So recently I saw some online reviews for the TC Electronics SubNUp pedal--and it looked interesting & promising
So I checked it out --on two different occasions--with different guitars & basses.

It fit what I wanted--so yesterday I picked one up.

I just got it, so there is that "Honeymoon" period we sometimes have with gear.
But it has a classic mode (Older style Octaver where if you play 2 or more notes together you confuse it), a Polyphonic mode--where you can play chords or single notes--and best of all--the Tone Print mode--where you can download an app to add a third setting--it comes with one that is an organ kind of sound.
The app & the sounds are free too--so that's cool.
They also have an editor for it to create your own sounds or tweak existing ones--I have't done much with that yet though)
But with the sounds available (You can switch them via the app& a smartphone) this pedal will give me a lot of variety in what sounds I can get--so that was a selling point for me.

I'll review it once I've had it for a while & used it more--but it is a cool pedal--and GAS is subsiding a bit (Although a pedalboard would be a great next purchase for me)

I haven't tried it on my Mandobird yet--but that should be cool too.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Always took you for a Pog boy Zontar. Now you've gone & surprised me with the TC choice.
Be very interested in your "after honeymoon " results.
Enjoy bud!

Sent from my other brain.

Reactions: zontar

·
Registered
24,333 Posts
The Sub-n-Up seems like an interesting pedal. I like my Micro-Pog, but the TC pedal has the advantage of Tone-print options, offering more tweakability than the Micro-Pog.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Great unit - I've had mine for a few months and it is still impressive. I also really liked the Micro Pog but there was a loss of volume when the pedal was engaged and the subnup is half the price of the Pog, making it one of the best bangs for the buck out there.

·
Registered
14,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Always took you for a Pog boy Zontar. Now you've gone & surprised me with the TC choice.
Be very interested in your "after honeymoon " results.
Enjoy bud!
Well thanks--but why a "Pog boy"? POGs did get some consideration, but I found the SubNUp fits my playing better.
The Sub-n-Up seems like an interesting pedal. I like my Micro-Pog, but the TC pedal has the advantage of Tone-print options, offering more tweakability than the Micro-Pog.
The TonePrint thing was a selling feature, for sure--& I look forward to experimenting with it.
Great unit - I've had mine for a few months and it is still impressive. I also really liked the Micro Pog but there was a loss of volume when the pedal was engaged and the subnup is half the price of the Pog, making it one of the best bangs for the buck out there.
The half the price of a POG was also a selling feature--and, as I commented above, the SubNUP fits my playing better as well.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Got one for a while now, and I really enjoy it. For the price, you can't go wrong. The Toneprints are very cool, and I actually
use one of their organ sounds with my band.

·
Registered
14,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got one for a while now, and I really enjoy it. For the price, you can't go wrong. The Toneprints are very cool, and I actually
use one of their organ sounds with my band.
the organ sounds are great.

I like some of the sounds on the EHX B9, C9 & Mel9--but not enough in one pedal to make it worth it--(If they took 4 from the C, 4 from the Mel 9 & 2 from the B9-I think I might get one.
But I think I can cover the sounds I like the best with the Sub N Up tone prints.

·
Registered
24,333 Posts
One of the things that the Micro Pog has over the Sub-N-Up is separate outputs for dry and effect. So, a person could run the octave down out the extra jack and through an auto-wah, or chorus, or even its own amp. Or you could feed the octave up through the extra jack to a delay, such that the normal-pitch signal was real-time, with an octave up repeat. The Sub-N-Up has only one output. Great sounds, but only one output.

·
Registered
14,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of the things that the Micro Pog has over the Sub-N-Up is separate outputs for dry and effect. So, a person could run the octave down out the extra jack and through an auto-wah, or chorus, or even its own amp. Or you could feed the octave up through the extra jack to a delay, such that the normal-pitch signal was real-time, with an octave up repeat. The Sub-N-Up has only one output. Great sounds, but only one output.
There are all sorts of variations out there, which is cool.
So we can all pick the one (or ones) that best suit us.
And the while there are things that other pedals have that I like, the Sub N Up suits me the best--but if we all used the same Octaver, it could be boring, it's cool there are different ways too do it.

·
Registered
24,333 Posts
Yeah, not a question of one being "better" than the other. It all depends on what you plan to do, and how you fashion your tones. Myself, I'm the sort who thinks about parallel processing of tone perhaps a little more than many players, so the Pog provides me things the Sub-N-Up doesn't provide. OTOH, if the Toneprint feature accomplishes some of that AND substitutes for a mixer that recombines the clean and altered tones (something my dual-output Pog still requires after the fact), then that's a good thing.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Well thanks--but why a "Pog boy"?
Couldn't think of anything for an Electro-Harmonix enthusiast that sounded funny…
Oh & Pog people sounded like something from a 50's sci-fi movie.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I would like to thank you all for putting this very high on my radar. Have wanted to upgrade my octaver (Danelectro) and this does organ as well. SOLD

·
Registered
14,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Couldn't think of anything for an Electro-Harmonix enthusiast that sounded funny…
Oh & Pog people sounded like something from a 50's sci-fi movie.

SO who is the EHX enthusiast?

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
SO who is the EHX enthusiast?
Me.
"Hi, my name is Bzrkrage, & I'm an EHX-aholic .
It actually only been a week since I bought my last EHX pedal…"

·
Registered
14,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Me.
"Hi, my name is Bzrkrage, & I'm an EHX-aholic .
It actually only been a week since I bought my last EHX pedal…"

I see...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts