The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Retirement has been treating me reasonably well. The workbench is hit and miss. But today was a good day, so I thought I'd summarize. Here is what I managed to make for myself over the last two months:

1) A compact reduced version of the Menatone Red Snapper in a 1590A box. I kept the gain and volume controls, but just use a couple of toggles to control bass and treble. Nice overdrive. Kind of an improved version of the Boss OD-1.
2) Unioix Uni-Comp. I used to own one in the 70's and I loved that sucker. VERY happy to have it back in the stable again.
3) EP Booster. Can't say that I find it magical, but it works, and works nicely.
4) Coupla 60's style fuzzes. Again, teeny boxes. I hate working with them, Half the labour is figuring out how to fit stuff in there and drilling the holes juuuuuuuuuuuussssssstttt right. But when they're done, and work, it sure les you fit lotsa stuff in a small space.
5) Maestro FRB-1 Full-Range Booster. Not earth-shattering, but I just had to know wht it sounds like. Think of it like a 4-band EQ feeding an overdrive. I included more options with mine than the original
6) Modified bi-filter follower. This is an old Craig Anderton design that I had built a few times. About 15 years back, I posted a bunch of mods to it that garnered very positive feedback ( Anderton Bi-Filter | General Guitar Gadgets ), but I never implemented them myself. So I rebuilt it and finally included all the mods. It's an envelope-controlled filter that sweeps two staggered bandpass filters. I added a feature that lets you blend in some clean signal, either in or out of phase, so that you can achieve a sort of envelope-controlled dual notch that sounds kind of phaser like. I also included fast/slow attack, and fast/slow decay. Planning to include a built-in distortion as well.
7) Double phaser. This is a NICE phaser with a lot of possibilities. Basically, it's two Phase 90's in a box. A second stompswitch lets me add the second one on top of the first one when I want. Bypass cancels them both. I added a bunch of those little push-buttons you see more and more on pedals thse days. So each phaser has two feedback settings, wide-narrow sweep, and high-low range, On top of that,I added a toggle to make the first phaser a vibrato, and another toggle to sync both phasers to the LFO of the first one. Setting each circuit differently, and running them both in series, gets some really intereting sounds. Very aperiodic, so it just sounds more swirly and animated. One of the neater things it does is move the apparent range of sweep up and down. So, phaser 1 sweeps between, say A to D. But since phaser 2 modulates what #1 does,it sounds like #1 sweeps from B to E, C to F, and then moves back down again. Cycles within cycles. It's actually nothing you can't do with one phaser plugged into another, but this does it better, with more variety, and you can cancel both phasers with one step.

Next up is a multi-FX that has been almost ready for a while, and was waiting for me to finish all these other things first. The multi-FX has yet another modded Phase 90, a tremolo, a hotrodded Small Clone, and a modded PT2399-based digital delay. Only three effects can be on a once, so there is a toggle to select between chorus or tremolo. I still have to add an envelope follower to control the speed of either the phaser or tremolo. I also have to add a modulation circuit to the delay. Everything is true bypass, and there are two normalized send/return loops between the three "stations". I have had the enclosure since 1978. It housed my first flanger.

So many pedals. So little time. If I can find some time, I'll try and demo the pedals. Some of the sounds are things you've never really heard before.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
That phaser sounds pretty cool. I'm a phaser fanboi.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Very nice. I haven’t picked up my soldering iron in a few years. I know I’ll get back to it someday. I have all these projects waiting for me. Good to see you have time to pursue your passions

·
Registered
24,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here's a group shot of all the pedals I managed to complete over the last few months.
"Clean Sweep" is my rendition of the Anderton Bi-Filter Follower.
"The Temple" is my version of the Grind Custom FX Temple of Giants fuzz.
"Knight Lite" is a clone of the old Knight-Allied fuzzbox kit.
"AD-50" is my version of the fuzz section from the old Roland Double Beat. It had 3 different fuzz "characters". I included those but added 3 more different characters. Great fuzz.
"FRB-1" is the Maestro Full Range Booster, with some mods.
"Snap" is a more concise version of the Menatone Red Snapper.

More on the way, including an extension of the Phase 90 with 6 stages instead of 4, and envelope control.

·
Premium Member
4,250 Posts
THAT multi is totally mad-Max. Love it.

I’m a fan of th green ringer a lot. It’s a fave of
Mine with the tone bender and the tone off in the neck position. Amazing what it can do to solos.

·
Registered
24,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THAT multi is totally mad-Max. Love it.

I’m a fan of th green ringer a lot. It’s a fave of
Mine with the tone bender and the tone off in the neck position. Amazing what it can do to solos.
I think one of the things that most octave-up fuzzes can use is the ability to blend in some clean lows, since doubling everything results in the loss of bottom. The Ringer is not my favourite octave-up. That goes to the Foxx Tone Machine. But the Ringer can be noticeably improved by a few simple mods, assuming you're able to do them.

1) Replace the pair of diodes with Schoittky type (1N5817, BAT41, BAT46, etc.).
  • This will reduce the glitchiness a little bit, and also provide octave tracking a little further down the fingerboard. I can get octaves on the 5th and 6th fret.
2) Stick a pair of germanium OR silicon diodes from the output to a 1k resistor to ground.
  • This provides quick and dirty compression, such that sustained notes will seem to "bloom" into octaves.
3) Connect a 2u2-10uf cap to ground from the emitter of the first transistor.
  • This will provide a boost to the octave-generating stage, and get octaves more easily.

·
Registered
24,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got around to making some demo videos. Video quality is the pits, but you get the idea. I don't get the mysteries of Youtube, but uploaded videos that initially show as not being playable due to format eventually become playable. I can't explain it. It just happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts