The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have a GT-001 that I use on the couch. I've been using these Boss multi-effects units for a long time.

How are the plastic buttons on that?

One thing to do that was common for the last few generations of these was to turn down the input level, which I did when I wanted to use a distortion pedal in front of it. There doesn't seem to be a parameter for that on the GT-1. I suppose you could put a pad before it or just turn down the input on the first effect. Or maybe they've just fixed it on the GT-1.

How are you going to use it?

I love having one of these around because it keeps me from being curious about all those exotic effects pedals. Whenever I think I want a phaser, I can explore it for a few minutes and get over it. It just recently cured my latest wah curiousity.

The virtual expression pedal is something I need to spend more time fooling with.

I think the best way to use these multi-effects units is to start from scratch, don't try to edit the factory presets. I think the factory presets all have way too much going on. Choose an amp, get the amp to sound good, add a distortion, then choose one or two effects. The sound comes out much better to my ears.

I have a basic patch, a clean blackface sound, that I start with and I have a bunch of effects set to usable values but turned off. If I find something I really like I will save it to a new patch.

The other week I was really disturbed by how percussive my guitar sounded through the GT-001. I haven't really got back to it since then. I'm not sure if it was the guitar, the effect of the almost imperceptible latency, maybe just fatigue or who knows.

Here's a patch for the bass called Clean Heads that they used to include in these units, it's an over-the-top deep booming sound.

Compressor
Sustain 45
Attack 15
Level 80
Tone 0

Parametric EQ
Low Gain +6 db
Hi Gain +6 db
Level 0 db
Low Mid Frequency 630hz
Low Mid Q 1
Low Mid Gain -9 db
Hi Mid Frequency 3.15hz
Hi Mid Q 2
Hi Mid Gain +7 db

Noise Supressor [turn it off]
Threshold 100
Release 25

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I added a Boss FS-6 footswitch today, and configured some “manual” presets. It’s possible to assign each button to different effects. I have FX1 on the down button, OD on the up button, FX2 on CTL1, delay on CTL2, & reverb on CTL3. The built expression pedal is volume/wah.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,192 Posts
Hahaha, this is still funny. Every time it gets bumped I chuckle a bit. Happy NPD again though :)

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I played a big band gig tonight with my Ibanez AG75, the Boss GT1 and my GK Mb110 amp. Very flexible, made all the sounds I needed easily accessible. I had to play some standard jazz clean with occasional “Santana” interjections, some digital delay and verb. It was a piece of cake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts