The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If I wasn't banned from TGP, there's be a whole lot of shit disturbing going on today. I know of a thread or two where this pedal was mentioned and it's not well received.

After a 3 month wait, my chinese Timmy knockoff finally arrived. The idea was to a/b with the original, but I sold it in the meantime...shame.

The sad thing is I can't remember how the Timmy sounds. I know the knobs don't behave the same way, so I'm wondering how it could be considered a copy.

Shockingly, it sounds REALLY good - especially considering it was $29 shipped. I opened it up and it has a JRC chip in it. This clip is at talking volume:

[soundcloud] https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fklon-solo%2Fmosky-timmymp3

IMG_20180430_140633.jpg

·
Registered
662 Posts
That mosky stuff is great for the price; I’ve got their mini compressor and mini power supply on the board I just put together. I’ve owned the mini compressor for 3 or 4 years and no issues yet. Great units to set and forget.

I wasn’t aware they had a Timmy clone, but I’ll definitely be checking it out.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had a Timmy at one point, and when engaged it always sounded to me like I had simply turned up the gain/volume on my amp. That's it. So, I didn't understand why I would even use it outside of a boost like application when I could just get the same sound from the amp itself. Some people call it a transparent overdrive. Others have said things along the lines of "it's like your guitar + amp, but more..." I agree. That's why I could never understand it's real purpose. What do you feel about it? Also, do you seen any difference with humbuckers vs single coils?

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Want one day to ship 3 months to get here from China

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a Timmy at one point, and when engaged it always sounded to me like I had simply turned up the gain/volume on my amp. That's it. So, I didn't understand why I would even use it outside of a boost like application when I could just get the same sound from the amp itself. Some people call it a transparent overdrive. Others have said things along the lines of "it's like your guitar + amp, but more..." I agree. That's why I could never understand it's real purpose. What do you feel about it? Also, do you seen any difference with humbuckers vs single coils?
Well, I'm not sure how close this is to a timmy, and I only have single coils at the moment.

Can actually sounds great to my ears. I don't know if it's the fact that the Lazy J welcomes pedals where is normal tweeds will just get fizzy

I can say that my ts9 sounds terrible through the amp though

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,184 Posts
I'm batting about 500 with Chinese 'replicas'.

F'rinstance, the Joyo Ultimate Drive was supposed to be an OCD clone. With the exception of them both being overdrives, that was as close as it got. Other clones I've tried have been much closer to the original.

I suspect some of this could just be how finicky we are to specific pedals. I've repeatedly heard that the original Danelectro TOD is supposed to be a Timmy clone and to my ears, it isn't. And the controls don't work 'correctly' compared to a Timmy. If you really love what a Timmy can do (and I do), maybe nothing but the original will work for you.

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm batting about 500 with Chinese 'replicas'.

F'rinstance, the Joyo Ultimate Drive was supposed to be an OCD clone. With the exception of them both being overdrives, that was as close as it got. Other clones I've tried have been much closer to the original.

I suspect some of this could just be how finicky we are to specific pedals. I've repeatedly heard that the original Danelectro TOD is supposed to be a Timmy clone and to my ears, it isn't. And the controls don't work 'correctly' compared to a Timmy. If you really love what a Timmy can do (and I do), maybe nothing but the original will work for you.
This timmy clone sounds amazing. It's not just good for a cheap pedal - it's good as an overdrive period. I haven't tried it with my other amps yet, but will do so soon.

·
Premium Member
12,184 Posts
This timmy clone sounds amazing. It's not just good for a cheap pedal - it's good as an overdrive period. I haven't tried it with my other amps yet, but will do so soon.
Do the B and T work as 'cut' controls or just as standard tone knobs (clockwise increases the freq band)?

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do the B and T work as 'cut' controls or just as standard tone knobs (clockwise increases the freq band)?
The knobs don't behave like a timmy. Here's the info from their site:

MM Overdrive

Based on Timmy Overdrive

Type : Overdrive

Gain:Adjusts the amount of Overdrive

Treble:Adjusts the Middle-High frequency

Bass:Adjusts the Low frequency

Volume:Adjusts the output volume of the pedal

True bypass switch

100% analog signal path

On/Off LED indicator

Dimensions (L/W/H): 94(L)MM x 39(W)MM x 32(H)MM

Power: 9VDC, Negative Tips (Regulated recommended) Weight: 125g

·
Premium Member
12,184 Posts
Sounds similar to the TOD then.

Two things I like about the Timmy are the cut controls and where they are in the circuit -- the B is before the gain cct while the T is after it.

I don't know if that adds to the transparency of the drive or just makes it more how I like them to work. I suspect the latter - I think they transparency is due to the cct design. And being as I like the sound of my amps overdriven, I just want the pedal to give me more of that, please.

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds similar to the TOD then.

Two things I like about the Timmy are the cut controls and where they are in the circuit -- the B is before the gain cct while the T is after it.

I don't know if that adds to the transparency of the drive or just makes it more how I like them to work. I suspect the latter - I think they transparency is due to the cct design. And being as I like the sound of my amps overdriven, I just want the pedal to give me more of that, please.
I thought that the cut controls were an interesting way to shape tone, but I didn't like how the pedal worked with fender circuits. I tried it through tweeds and blackface style amps and still found it to be on the fuzzy side. A lot of people point to that pedal as fender-friendly. This mosky has a really nice low gain hairiness that works well with at least this tweed. Since the pedal is not worth selling, I'm sure I'll get an opportunity to try it with a bunch of fenders and post back here.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
This clip is at talking volume:
We can here that, who’s the Mrs chatting with in the background? (0:20)

Sounds good. $30? Small footprint? Deal-eo!

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We can here that, who’s the Mrs chatting with in the background? (0:20)

Sounds good. $30? Small footprint? Deal-eo!
Yeah, the wife has a knack of showing up during my recording, but I am in the dining room...

I've actually ordered a 4 in 1 pedal that has high gain distortion, overdrive, looper, and delay for $50CAD!!! I figure if the the overdrive is good, I'll get rid of the single pedal. If it's not as good, I'll get Moratto to swap them out. Worse case scenario, I have a shell that can be used for a whole slew of stuff.

]
Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 2.44.04 PM.png

1 - 20 of 40 Posts