The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here are a couple of posts I made on TGP in the last 24 hours since receiving the Jackson Audio Bloom from ElectricMojo:

First 30 minutes in the books but only on my Kemper through inexpensive monitors...here's what I noted so far:

The compressor:
  • presets are useful and tasteful. As a self-confessed compressor dummy it's nice to have someone with the experience do the heavy lifting. The Green and Magenta is where i spent most of my time 'cause I play country and P&W.
  • The compressor doesn't ruin my tone. This is where I disengage with most compressors, the Walrus Deep Six for instance - it just heard it too much and I don't want that.
  • It sounds different than the Cali76CD as one might expect but it doesn't sound or feel worse. The Cali76 has a way of fattening up the low mids that I don't notice with the compressor alone.
The Boost:
  • Here's where I might fall in love...first impression is great! I've been using a Ceriatone Centura Klone and this might kick it out the door. It's FAT without losing top end. Doesn't add top like the Klon circuit does either. Just MORE. Really like how it's voiced.
The EQ:
  • Spent the least time here but I love the idea of having a 3 band EQ at my feet for when my amp is off stage or not easily accessed. Also I play a Vibrolux so I don't have a mid control. Didn't notice significant noise when adding the EQ and that's important to me.

Positive First Experience. I'm hoping to get my amp up to gig volume before the day is through and I'll let you know what happens then. Stay tuned....this looks like a winner so far.

A little bump after playing more last night and this morning through my 68 Custom Vibrolux.

As I mentioned earlier I have and really like the Cali76CD - it's compression is apparent but not overwhelming and it has a color/sound that I find pleasant. I leave it on all the time and it wasn't really until this morning I realized how much it effects my core tone. So I'm a fan of that compressor.

The Bloom has less of a sound - more transparent (at least with the blend at noon or higher). That's not a bad thing...in fact perhaps it's a good thing. I guess I mention it for reference.

Where I think the Bloom really shines is how the boost and EQ add to what it brings to the table. Stacking the three together in various ways can take my vibrolux set on 5 (the sweetspot with my Single Coil equipped guitars) to barely broken up, dirty rhythm and lead tones. One more boost pedal on the board would be really all one needs unless you're looking to change the fundamental voicing of the amp in some way...even that can be achieved with the EQ really. This really appeals to me as someone with a big board and a small board (I use Temple Audio boards so I can quickly swap pedals and power supplies)...I could easily imagine taking a tuner, the Bloom, a TS type and a delay to country gigs and being set for the night.

So I'm not sending the Bloom back. The big question is what will I send out the door to make room in the budget. Is it too crazy to keep the Cali76 AND the Bloom? Maybe my Centura is redundant now? Perhaps both the Cali and Centura are headed out? With the addition of my incoming ES-5 I can move the place the Bloom has in my signal chain and use it both the drive the front end of my signal or boost the back end...hrmm.

All in all, a very useful pedal here folks. Don't hesitate to give it a try!

PS - I'll try to make a video comparing the Cali and Bloom if I can.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Congrats! I’ve been looking at compressors lately as well. Saw the video with Joey Landreth and was intrigued. I’ve never had a compressor pedal before, thanks for the first impressions!

I’m looking at this, or maybe the Ohmless Yara2.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats! I’ve been looking at compressors lately as well. Saw the video with Joey Landreth and was intrigued. I’ve never had a compressor pedal before, thanks for the first impressions!

I’m looking at this, or maybe the Ohmless Yara2.
If you want "Just" a compressor, don't miss the Cali76CD...it's really special. I've had the Keeley, Analogman, MXR and Walrus Audio as well. None of them hold a candle to the Cali. The Diamond is also great...but different.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
So after much research, I think I’m gonna go and spring for one of these Blooms, I’m talking to Charles from ElectricMojo about saving one for me when they get them back in stock!

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I will say @TimH that your thoughts on it definitely swayed me to check it out a lot closer. Then I watched the demo vids with Joey Landreth (saw him live when he played here last week) and thought the features were pretty cool! Do you find that switching on the eq is tough with having to hit both switches? Or do you just tend to leave it on all the time?

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will say @TimH that your thoughts on it definitely swayed me to check it out a lot closer. Then I watched the demo vids with Joey Landreth (saw him live when he played here last week) and thought the features were pretty cool! Do you find that switching on the eq is tough with having to hit both switches? Or do you just tend to leave it on all the time?
Joey is THE man.

I’ve only played once with it live so far but actually found the EQ very easy to engage! I use that feature sparingly though so keep that in mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts