The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through a series of unusual events I've stumbled into owning an Empress Echosystem and a JHS 3-series harmonic trem in the last few days. This is a huge pedal leap for me.

I already have an older trem pedal. It's from Winnipeg builder Kenny B (i think - that's what the guy I bought it from several years ago said) and when i open it up it appears to be an Apollo kit. It sounds good although doesn't always play nice when it's sharing a power supply and/or chained together with other pedals. I'm not sure why that is but I generally use it by itself or in the amp effects loop rather than on a pedal board. It spends a lot of time sitting at home when I'm under the impression that it's not working but then I try it by itself again and seems all well.

Anyway it's got more sound sculpting options than the 3-series but the JHS is harmonic trem which I like and the two color the tone differently. JHS seems to work well in combination with others so that's a plus too. I probably won't keep both of them but ... dual trem? who knows that could be a thing.

I also have some entry level delays which I use and like. A zoom A3 that I use for both acoustic and electric. I started out years ago with a Behringer analog delay which I thought was great but gave away. I also have an older Joyo D-Seed delay with two presets that you can switch between. I use it all the time and like it quite well. When I first plugged the Empress in I thought it was underwhelming and dumb. However the next thing I knew my feet were asleep and I was cold and it was two hours later I got lost in delay space. It appears from what I see online that these things are some kind of spendy. It is cool but is it $600 cool? I guess that remains to be seen. At that price I will confess that it's worth more than the rest of my pedals combined. Maybe time to roll with it and play a big boy effect. Or maybe it's for sale 'cuz I'm not there yet. I'm not sure so far.

j

· Registered
380 Posts
The Echosystem is an amazing delay. It’s got tons and tons of features including presets and midi and all that stuff. However, even as a basic delay, I find I can use it like a “normal” small format pedal - just pick a delay style and twiddle knobs on the fly. It’s also got an amazing looper built in.

· Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depending how much I like the reverbs in the empress unit I may be up to trade the trem for the 3 Series octave reverb. I do like reverb and my amps both have decent but not great onboard small tank reverb. Octave reverb is not my favorite effect but I would use it from time to time it fits some stuff I need to play sometimes.

· Registered
380 Posts
Depending how much I like the reverbs in the empress unit I may be up to trade the trem for the 3 Series octave reverb. I do like reverb and my amps both have decent but not great onboard small tank reverb. Octave reverb is not my favorite effect but I would use it from time to time it fits some stuff I need to play sometimes.
This is where I’d say you should spend some time with the Echosystem before you get rid of the trem. Why?

Well, first, trem is a classic mod effect and you’ve got a good one there with the JHS that you seem to like.

Second, it seems funny to give up an effect you like to get an effect that’s “not my favourite effect” as you say. Why prioritize the octave reverb then?

Third, I would take some time to research reverbs. There are great options at the $250-300 price point, much loved big boxes at the $600 price point (including one from Empress), and some increasingly competitive offerings at the $100-150 price point including two from JHS. If octave isn’t your favourite, consider saving up for a more versatile one.

Fourth, you can use what you already have to cover the reverb bases until you decide on a long term path and save some money toward that. You have passable spring reverb in your amp. And the Echosystem has options for some ambient style reverbs that may cover your octave reverb needs for a while too. These include both the ambient delays, as well as the Delay + Reverb settings. In particular, you can dial in the D+R settings to be more reverb focused, and then out the pedal on dual delay mode, and use your second option for whatever delay you like. Then you essentially have a delay and reverb pedal in one box.

· Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seems funny to give up an effect you like to get an effect that’s “not my favourite

I thought about that as I was posting the message. Why would I give up something I like to get something I don't want so that I can play music I don't enjoy? Life is short enough as it is and there's so much good music waiting to be played.

j

1 - 6 of 6 Posts