The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been trying to put together a "cheap" little pedalboard to bring out for jamming, and I really wanted a delay pedal that could do three things: sound more analog than digital with darker repeats, can add some modulation, and has a dedicated tap tempo.

L&M has the Counter Point Delay on sale, so I decided to pick it up. I quite like it, especially for the price. From Diamond's description it seems that it has analog and digital elements for creating the delay signal, and the sound comes across that way. It doesn't sound like a digital recreation of an analog delay, but it's also not quite as "warm" to me as some great analog delays. But it sounds quite nice.

Likes: It has 4 modes that you can switch between. The first mode is darker like what I was looking for, and the fourth mode offers a brighter sound for when you need it. One other mode has more of a dotted-eighth feel with a quieter quarter note behind it that really nails the "Edge" sound. The modulation is foot-switchable, and sounds good with only a simple single "mod" control. In most modes you can crank the feedback all the way for infinite repeats without worrying about self-oscillation (I like self-oscillation, but sometimes it can be hard to get that infinite sound on other pedals without things getting crazy loud). The pedal is fairly small, and it's relatively inexpensive right now.

Dislikes: The ambient mode is a cool idea, but the effect is too subtle. Cranking the mix and feedback all the way in this mode doesn't make the delay that loud or last for more than a few seconds. To me, that makes it the least "ambient" of all the modes. Also, if you do crank up mix & feedback for this mode, you will need to dial them back a lot when switching to other modes, which is kind of a pain. Backing off the settings you can get almost a mild reverb kind of sound, which I guess is kind of neat. But I was hoping for something more along the lines of the Strymon DIG "golden ratio" setting with multiple taps that don't overlap, but you don't really get that here.

For the full asking price, I think one could do better for the same cost (or much better if willing to spend just a little more). But for the sale price, I think it's a keeper!

·
Premium Member
18,551 Posts
Congrats. I still think about my ml jr, it just sounded so lush.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats. I still think about my ml jr, it just sounded so lush.
I’m not saying it’s the same, because I’ve never used the Memory Lane Jr., but it’s probably similar. This is from the Counter Point manual:

“The Counter Point’s digital sampling engine’s sole function is to copy, delay, and reproduce the delay path signal with little or no mathematical manipulation at all - and unlike standard analog/digital conversion codecs used in the vast majority of digital audio gear, there are no digital anti-aliasing and reconstruction filters used here. This proven delay architecture delivers richly dynamic tone to thousands of Memory Lane Jr and Quantum Leap’s already in use today. All signal paths around this sampling engine are analog (the direct path, feedback path, and everything before and after the digital sampler), signal paths that are carefully designed to provide a unique sonic signature that is unmistakably Diamond”

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Personally I enjoyed the MLJR more but the counterpoint has a bit different of a sound that ofcourse could be preferred.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Did you get a chance to try it out yet? What do you think?
Got it yesterday. I'm not too pedal savvy but I really like it. Its almost a perfect opposite to my Boss RE20, which while not overly sexy, sounds amazing. The thing about the RE20 though is it's really quirky. The preamp modeling is great but it doesn't do well in loops or for more conventional echoes. The Counterpoint has great character and vibe but is straightforward. The footswitch able modulation is absolutely fantastic. I'm not usually keen on fluttery delays but to have the option in front of me is great. And it's well voiced. The seasick thing is there but it sounds good subtle as well. I dunno, it's just better than most other pedals I've played in nearly every regard. Quality is outstanding too. I can see why the Memory Lane is on so many boards. For under 200$ this thing is a steal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts