The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my oldest friends came over this evening with a birhday present for me - a collection of pedals that he had picked up over the years from yard sales, Value Village, etc. I was blown away. It's an entire pedalboard!

Danecho
Danelectro DaddyO
DOD Classic Fuzz
Boss NF-1 Noise Gate
Vibe Echo
Yamaha DM-100
Boss CE-3 Chorus

There might even be more that I'm forgetting, but I think that's it. I'm gobsmacked.

The Dm-100 is interesting. It'sa distortion,yes. But the rotary switch will also give you a chorus, flanger and short delay, all preset mind you, with the distortion

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Wow, a very nice present for sure. Happy Birthday Mark.

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
You're a deserving recipient! Happy birthday, Mark!

·
Registered
231 Posts
That's a good friend, the presents that represent a project and time investment mean a lot more than just grabbing something at the store.

Happy Birthday!

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Schweet! Have a great birthday Mark.

Sent from my other brain.

·
Registered
24,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Happy birthday! Eat cake!
Technically, I wasn't supposed to, but my wife arranged for a sugar-free cake. So I did! :):):)

Incidentally, looking up some stuff, I learned that the Danelectro Daddy-O is essentially a Marshall Guv'Nor with a few tweaks to the output buffer stage. or rather, the Daddy-O has one, and the Guv'Nor goes straight from the volume pot to the output jack (with a stompswitch in between, of course).

But, looking at it a little more, the Daddy-O can be easily converted into something like a King of Tone, albeit a little closer to a Bluesbreaker with a 3-band EQ. Like the Guv'nor, the Daddy-O uses a pair of LEDs to ground for clipping (the KoT allows for two silicon diodes used the same way). But there is nothing stopping one from sticking a quartet of diodes in the feedback path and lifting the LEDs from ground, the way the KoT does. Interesting.

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
Happy birthday--enjoy the pedals

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Happy birthday man! Oh and I want to go shopping with your buddy!

·
Registered
24,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He gets some of the best deals around. And not because he's dickering. He'll pay MSRP at Steve's or L&M on new stuff. He just finds stuff. My wife made out like a bandit too. His department had a booksale as a fundraiser, and one of the local benefactors contributed her collection of Jane Austen-related stuff. It didn't sell, so he brought it home rather than see it go to paper recycling. When he found out my wife is an Austen-o-phile, he brought the book collection for her. An absolute treasure trove. Not just the fictional works, but all sorts of commentaries, histories of the focal regions where he books take place, and more. A big box with what looks like 50+ books.

As for me, I've begun my modding frenzy. I'll install remote switching capability in all the pedals that use momentary switches and e-switching. I started working on the CE-3 chorus this evening. First, I increased the speed range on it, since I found it unable to sound "bubbly". I'm also about to install a delay-range switch, to get something closer to the zone between flanging and chorus, as well as the stock chorus sound. I did that to a Small Clone I used to own, and rather liked it.

I improved the FX53 Classic Tube, which my friend accurately described as sucking tone. It sounded neither classic nor tubelike, and the tone control made it sound far too woofy.. So I dropped the gain a bit, eliminated one stage of clipping,and reduced the woofiness of the tone control. Not revolutionary, by any stretch, but FAR more usable.

I've seen online that some folks have circuit-bent the Dan Echo. I'll read up more about what they did, and pick and choose those mods I think enhance the usability of the unit.

The Vibe Delay is an interesting beast. It is an analog delay, with companding for low noise, but uses a BL3208 2048-stage delay chip., which seriously limits how much usable delay time can be gotten. I may have a spare MN3205, which can be swapped with the BL3208 for double the delay time, and put it in the range of 350-400msec delay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts