The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
serial puts it at 1981. The "E" p`ups are DiMarzios, used on the high ends at the time. Frets are in great condition, neck is straight and beautifully flamed and someone put a mini toggle boost switch...but did not massacre the body so the battery is under the pickguard...may just reinstall an original jack and return it to it`s former glory.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
i have a tokai neck i'm currently building a guitar around, it's stupid good. same profile as the us 62 reissue strat, but with an extra fret.. mine looks to be the same era as yours, love the springy sound and oldies but goodies decals. i have a fender waterslide i'll throw on mine, just because i have to refinish the headstock face (unless anyone has tokai waterslides?). good score! i'd return it to stock, myself.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Those Springy's are great. I had one a few years ago and unfortunately sold it off in an attack of GAS. Mine was Lake Placid Blue and had pretty heavy wear (which looked very cool).

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that those Tokais are commanding a fairly hefty price these days.

More than you can buy a MIM for in some cases.

Is this true?

It is a very pretty Strat BTW.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just meant to emphasize that they are cost more than just 'hefty'. That's why I said a lot more compared to a MIM.

Some will cost even more than an American made Strat.

Didn't mean to confuse, just wanted to emphasize. Wait a sec, now I'm confused. I hate the day after long weekends.

:D

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
over here MIMs are over priced...but a lot of stuff is and youse can just about double the prices MIAs go for in America.
It`s in really nice condition, and from what I`ve read the natural....if I named my guitars thats what I`d call this one...finish was a custom color and cost 5000 yen more at the time. I think a Springy in this condition today in Japan would probably go for at least $800.oo maybe more depending on who was bidding... they`ve gotten crazy expensive in the big cities and on the Japanese web.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
someone put a mini toggle boost switch...but did not massacre the body so the battery is under the pickguard...may just reinstall an original jack and return it to it`s former glory.

Hey SneakyPete
Nice score. Those are fine guitars.
If you want to get rid of that mini toggle switch (Alembic Stratoblaster) when you return it to original, keep me in mind. Actually it would be good to know if it works first. Did you check it out? I used those boosts in every Strat I owned (back in the late 70s/early 80's). Haven't heard one for years. Might not be my cup of tea now. However I do have fond memories of being able to juice up my sound into my brown Vibrolux. I have heard they stop working after some time (never happened to me though)

Pete

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
I just meant to emphasize that they are cost more than just 'hefty'. That's why I said a lot more compared to a MIM.

Some will cost even more than an American made Strat.

Didn't mean to confuse, just wanted to emphasize. Wait a sec, now I'm confused. I hate the day after long weekends.

:D
Ahhh, gotcha.

And to clarify my perspective, I have no issues with a copy like this Tokai costing more than a Fender Strat, be it MIA, MIJ or MIM. The Tokai is more of a Strat than something with two humbuckers and a Fender Stratocaster logo IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts