The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think that if some other brand put all the stuff Gibson tried to do to improve the Les Paul, but the market rejected, it would probably be heralded as the next great advancement in the electric guitar.
Guitar players: A real Les Paul =

Les Paul's actual Les Paul:

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Take 1: It's a trap if the inlays aren't trapezoidal
Take 2: Don't be obtuse, four right angles are wrong
There's something about the Les Paul Recordings I really like. The problem I tend to run into is that their appearances rarely coincide with a topped up gear fund.

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
I was pretty comfy dropping $1999 on it.
Fair enough, I'd want to (but likely wouldn't) brag about it myself. For the purposes of karma though, I'd propose that if you ever decide to sell it, you give @Okay Player first right of refusal.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
Reactions: Okay Player

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The ad mentioned the Lollar. I just wanted to confirm before the end of the three day return period.
Ah, I hadn't noticed that. Smart to check I've had an issue there over the winter with them selling something not as advertised. They made good and I believe it to be an honest mistake, but you're wise to check.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
Could have held out for this one (posted to legitimize this thread in the Kijiji forum ;))

2011 GIBSON USA CLASSIC CUSTOM LES PAUL GOLDTOP | Guitars | Regina | Kijiji

View attachment 374440
Yikes!

So when I saw the original post, I had no idea about this model or value but the price seemed decent. I usually price guitars using the "what am I willing to pay for it" method. Then there's the "what are these actually selling for" price. If my price doesn't line up with that one, well then I guess I don't get a new guitar. And I'm fine with that.

At first glance, the posted price plus tax fell into my range. I went to Reverb to educate myself and was shocked as shit when I saw those numbers I posted. Frankly, those numbers are waaaay outside my "what am I willing to pay for it" range. Not even close. Obviously, some people are willing to pay $3k and (much) more for these but I ain't one of them. If it had been even $2500 tax in, I probably wouldn't have bothered checking it out.

The guy in Regina probably won't get $3995 but he'll probably get closer to that than what I paid.

...and people need to stop using their flash when photographing these. Those light looking fretboards are a deal breaker.

Reactions: Diablo

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Regardless of what they sell for, I'm with you I think under $2500 would be where I'd want to be. It's a really nice classic not a Les Paul Custom. If it were still there when I visit on Monday I probably would have bought it, so thanks for saving me from myself @2manyGuitars

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
Regardless of what they sell for, I'm with you I think under $2500 would be where I'd want to be. It's a really nice classic not a Les Paul Custom. If it were still there when I visit on Monday I probably would have bought it, so thanks for saving me from myself @2manyGuitars
Just returning the favour. You saved me from buying that P90 Classic. 🖐(internet high-five)

Reactions: BlueRocker
21 - 36 of 36 Posts