The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
When I saw the news about his passing, at first I was shocked but then I thought "What if this is just a joke?" Norm was the type of guy who would sometimes put people on and confound them with his humour and this seemed like the type of thing he would do, but sadly it's true. When I read that one of his producers confirmed that he was gone I was sad. He's always been one of my all time favourite Canadian comedians. I posted about him a few years ago on here mentioning that. The last time I saw him doing stand up was on YouTube last year when the Corona virus was just starting and his whole routine was about that. He was always genuinely funny and wasn't like a typical comedian would be. He seemed like he was always making it up instead of doing memorized routines. I see that the moth joke was already posted but here are a couple of videos from YouTube. I'll start with Norm doing the last stand up routine on David Lettermans show. This was a few days before Dave ended the show and it's unquestionably the most emotional I've ever seen Norm get.

In 1998 he was fired from Saturday Night Live where he was doing Weekend Update. He tells why in the video. The thing that gets me is that Dave is more upset than Norm is about being fired. When Norm mentions the name "Don Ohlmeyer" , just the way he says it makes him sound like a lousy person but he isn't hateful or mean about it.

You were an awfully funny man Mr. MacDonald. R.I.P.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
My favorite memory of Norm. I was still in high school (91, or 92??), and the girlfriend was over. We were laying on the couch, watching TV, she fell asleep on my chest. It was late, but I was channel surfing. I came across (what I learned later was) One Night Stand. It's the one about getting a lottery ticket vs a coffee mug at the office party, the one about the Dating Game with the shady character from Parts Unknown, the lonely guy in the backseat of a three man road trip, the Doberman being the "forgotten dog", and the guy who kills his family because Satan told him to. (Hey, it's me Bob!!)

It was so funny, but I didn't want to wake her. By suppressing the laugh, I just shook instead. She'd wake, I'd apologize, she'd go back to sleep, he kept getting funnier, she'd wake... I didn't see the end of it cause I was a nice guy and turned the channel. But I was Norm fan from then on.

I thought it was odd he joined SNL. To me, he was already bigger than the cast he joined. But, he was great on it too. His Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee episode is fantastic.

RIP Norm!

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Yes indeed.

Thinking of Norm and I start dribbling piss....he was dribbling piss funny.
Much love Norm. Much love. Rest in peace.

·
Registered
15,866 Posts
The future is a little less funny.

Condolences to his family & friends.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Just heard. I'm gonna miss him....or so the Germans would have us believe. And just in case you weren't aware, Germans LOVE David Hasselhoff.

RIP Norm. I hope segments of your show crop up on Youtube. I enjoyed it immensely.

Marc Maron interviewed him a couple years ago. I imagine that interview will be replayed this week, as he did for Ed Asner and Michael K. Williams last week..
Schneigely kreigely!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts