The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,670 Posts
Just heard. I'm gonna miss him....or so the Germans would have us believe. And just in case you weren't aware, Germans LOVE David Hasselhoff.

RIP Norm. I hope segments of your show crop up on Youtube. I enjoyed it immensely.

Marc Maron interviewed him a couple years ago. I imagine that interview will be replayed this week, as he did for Ed Asner and Michael K. Williams last week..

·
Registered
893 Posts
Loved his stuff. His (no idea how this got on TV) anal rape bit from SNL was hilarious, as was his David Letterman.

And of course, now everyone with the last name Ferguson has the nickname "Turd" thanks to him.

RIP to a great Canadian comedian.

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
Loved his ongoing OJ bit on SNL Weekend Update.

Reactions: Sneaky

·
Premium Member
26,670 Posts
I liked his short-lived sitcom The Norm Show, and was delighted to find out it was available in streaming form. Not exactly the same as Parks & Rec's Ron Swanson, he presaged the idea of a guy doing a job he'd rather not do, and was cynical about. If you don't remember the series (some of you were pretty young in 1999), Norm played a former hockey player who is banned from the NHL for life, because of gambling and tax evasion, and manages to avoid jail time by doing community service at a sort of drop-in center, as a sort of social-worker. The theme song was "Too bad (that you had to get caught)" by Doug & The Slugs.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I saw him perform in Hamilton before he gained a lot of attention from the younger generations. The audience didn't know how to react to half the show, it was amazing.
A friend of mine stateside sent me his condolences for losing a national treasure. I told him "We aren't accenting condolences. Just inappropriate jokes about his death. It's what he would have wanted."

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Thinking of Norm and I start dribbling piss....he was dribbling piss funny.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I saw him at Yuck Yuck's in Ottawa decades ago and he was outstanding - only a few people there too, maybe 10 in total which included our party of 4. He was a nobody then. Within a year or so he was on TV. During his routine, I was thinking to myself "Are all the comedians here this funny, this original?"

Nope. There's only one Norm.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts