The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I like to dabble with the keys and I'm wondering if theres any danger in running a keyboard thru a guitar amp with some distortion on the amp(its just a behringer 15W v-tone but its all i got right now)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
You might not want to use the distortion...maybe just keep the amp clean and it should be ok. Its a solid state amp right?

edit: well, I was just thinking, a guitar amp's speakers may not be able to produce the frequencies of the piano...I have no idea. I have an 81 key roland digital piano, and I wouldnt run mine into a guitar amp.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k thx for the info yeah its a solid state I'm planning on getting a new amp in the near future but im gonna keep this one for the keys the distort +organ gives it a cool deep purpleish sound

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
k thx for the info yeah its a solid state I'm planning on getting a new amp in the near future but im gonna keep this one for the keys the distort +organ gives it a cool deep purpleish sound
I'm gonna shock everyone here by suggesting that this solid state amp is a good choice for your keyboard, as opposed to the glorious sound of tubes!

The reason this tubehead is saying this is that keyboards have lower notes than the standard low E on a lead guitar. A lead tube amp often has problems if the player is using some of those open low C, strings falling off the neck tunings. The output transformer in a tube amp needs to be about a third bigger and heavier to handle bass guitar or similar notes.

That's why guys using SLO100's or Boogers complain that their hard core sound is kinda lame. If they want those low tunings they should be using a bass amp. Some of them go to solid state amps and like 'em, but it's not so much the tone as the fact that solid state amps have a bass response more like a bass amp and don't crap out on low tunings.

So although I still maintain that a bass tube amp will sound better for your keyboard, at this point you probably would get more value out of a little solid state amp for your keyboard.

Unless you're independently wealthy, of course!:smile:

I

·
0 Posts
I play with a key player who will switch up his Rhodes between a Roland Jazz Chorus and a slightly overdriven Bassman combo. Killer sounds, both.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
"All generalizations are dangerous, including this one!"

Jon Lord used to run his Hammond thru Marshalls with Deep Purple.
Hey, some amps handle it better than others! :smile:

It also depends on how high you run the volume. At 3 it's a lot easier on the output tranny than on 10.

Traynor used BIGASS Hammond output trannies as a matter of course! That's why they've always had such a good bottom end.

Hardcore guys off course are usually running at 11.

If I only had 15 watts for my keyboard instead of a Marshall stack I'd go with a solid state amp.

Of course, I might die of embarrassment and tell everybody it's a tube amp...:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts