The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, Ive only been playing for about a year and a half and I'm just starting to explore the world beyond my beginner kit solid state amp and guitar(i didnt know any better back then) and I'm just wondering what an amp head is?

I see guys with regular amps without them and I see guys that have amps with the amp heads too. What are the advantages of having an amp head opposed to a regular amp? do they sound better? are they louder? can they have more effects passed thru them?

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
half stack - preamp and power amp in one enclosure (the head), external speakers (cab).

the main advantage is that you can chose what speaker configuation you want with a head - 112, 2 112s, a 212, two 412's - you name it. advantage with combos? one unit, usually better mobility, and a combo doesnt mean a sacrifice in tone.

some people will tell you that a halfstack is louder then a combo. i laugh: depends on the amp. you might get better sound projection with a halfstack, but but again that depends on the amp and speakers (and cabinet construction) in question.

imo, stick to combos - they mic you anyway. i have a full stack cuz i got it fer free, and in my case i just get the tones i want with a half stack over a combo. i simply havent tried the combos that im fairly sure will get me that tone.

I

·
0 Posts
Hey Guys, Ive only been playing for about a year and a half and I'm just starting to explore the world beyond my beginner kit solid state amp and guitar(i didnt know any better back then) and I'm just wondering what an amp head is?
A head is the preamp and power amp portion of the guitar amp without the speakers.

I see guys with regular amps without them and I see guys that have amps with the amp heads too. What are the advantages of having an amp head opposed to a regular amp? do they sound better? are they louder? can they have more effects passed thru them?
They're not necessarily louder. Or better. They're just...different. If you need 4 12" speakers pounding out your sound you haven't got any choice but to buy a cabinet so a head to drive it makes sense. Some amps are only available as heads. Some only as combos.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
dont forget...having a halfstack/fullstack makes you look more amazing on stage...look at all the famous guitarists, slash, satriani, petrucci, andy timmons, neil zaza, me, we all play halfstacks. get the idea. ;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
This is less important, but is a selling point for me. Some combos have the input jacks and controls on top. I prefer the controls on the front of the amp in case I need to change settings.
Heads, invariably, have controls on the front.
It's often easier (lighter weight) to load a head and cab into your vehicle than some combos.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Just want to throw in that you can also get combos that have speaker out on the back... so with a combo you get maximum portability for say, bringing it to a jam space or a friends house and then you can hook it up to a 4x12 (or any other cab) for giggin' if you want or need to.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Some combos have the input jacks and controls on top. It's often easier (lighter weight) to load a head and cab into your vehicle than some combos.

A) A 2x12 with controls on top is easier to fiddle with (from a standing position) than one with controls on the front.

B) Budda, how much does your 4x12 weigh? How much does the JSX head weigh? (70 lbs?) Now, I know they're different amps entirely, but your YCV is what, 60 lbs?

That said, if I had to go un mic'd, I'd want a half stack, if possible, but raising a combo up a foot or two can have a big effect.

Combo vs Head+cab comes down to whichever configuration is better for you, IF you have the option.

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
Or you can get a combo and add a cab. I have the Traynor YCV50Blue with the YCX112 cab. I normally take the combo when I go to rehearsals, if its not at my place and only bring the cab during gigs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts