The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm going to be replacing the speaker in my Classic 30 and was wondering if its something I should let an amp tech do or if its a simple enough procedure to do on my own?

i guess the biggest concern is that i hear there is still a risk of getting electrocuted by a charged capacitor even if its unplugged. ??

thanks in advance

·
Registered
737 Posts
The filter caps are in the pwr supply section Barrist and you won't be near there, but unplug the unit anyway. Your biggest danger is not making a good conn on the speaker and that could fry your op transformer. If you can do a screwdriver, you're ok. And make sure you hook up the + wire to the + terminal on the spkr, likewise with -.

·
Administrator
16,143 Posts
Make sure your replacing the existing speaker with one of the same ohm rating and that it has enough power handling ability (rated watts). Shouldn't be a problem with the Classic 30.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
I just replaced the speaker on my Classic 30 this weekend. It's a bit of a pain to replace it tho. First make sure you take out the screws that hold the reverb bag and there's 2 of them. Don't make the mistake of taking out the chassis first which I did. Next is, take out the screws that hold the reverb and power cables. Then you have to take out the whole chassis (8 screws I think). Then take out the screws that hold the piece of wood that holds the speaker. and like Michelle said "make sure you hook up the + wire to the + terminal on the spkr, likewise with -"

Hope that helps.

BTW, what speaker are you replacing it with? Mine is a Weber Blue Dog (Ceramic), it still needs to be broken in but I already hear some of differences between the Blue Marvel and the Blue Dog. Considering it's not been broken in much yet, it still sounded warmer and not ice-picky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts