The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toronto mayor John Tory has asked staff what can be done to curb noisy motorcycles and other vehicles on Toronto streets.

Tory takes aim at noisy motorcycles, cars on Toronto streets | The Star

How 'bout starting with enforcement of existing laws? Many of the most obnoxiously-noisy bikes around are already breaking the law. Here's a five-year-old column by National Post writer Terence Corcoran which makes some good points.

The deafening noise of fast and furious motorcycles should be dulled with enforceable laws

Many bikers use the argument that if they're not loud other motorists won't notice them and may kill them. I dunno.

I rode a stock Suzuki 750GT in the '70s, had actual mufflers instead of open pipes. I rode it a WHOLE lot all over Ontario and Quebec. I'm still here to complain about loud bikes and get flamed for it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Pretty sure they already have an exhaust bylaw from 10-15 years ago. It just needs to be enforced.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Any of us running loud already know we're breaking the law. We just don't care.

Small cars and motorcycles are invisible to most drivers. My car has been hit at least 4 times that I know of, and motorcycles are even worse. At least when I'm on the throttle you know damn well when I'm in your blindspot.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Most of the loud pipes that I know of are weekend warrior types rather than daily drivers. Mostly it just makes people hate bikes, or loud diesels, or whatever the culprit is. The many get painted with the same brush as the few.
If the 'loud pipes save lives' theory is true, it will be borne out by the stats with more electric bikes coming in.

This is what is coming in to Edmonton, and probably elsewhere. The 'loud pipes' crowd will likely try and claim it's a cash grab, but it is driven by public outcry.
Edmonton begins photo-ticketing pilot project for loud pipes | Canada Moto Guide

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Any of us running loud already know we're breaking the law. We just don't care.

Small cars and motorcycles are invisible to most drivers. My car has been hit at least 4 times that I know of, and motorcycles are even worse. At least when I'm on the throttle you know damn well when I'm in your blindspot.
I drive a small car hundreds of km a day in one of theost congested areas of the country and my car hasn't been hit in more than 15 years.

Perhaps your driving is at least partially to blame. Despite my clean driving record over the last 15 plus years I can honestly say that even I have dummy moments and my driving habits have room for improvement.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I drive a small car hundreds of km a day in one of theost congested areas of the country and my car hasn't been hit in more than 15 years.

Perhaps your driving is at least partially to blame. Despite my clean driving record over the last 15 plus years I can honestly say that even I have dummy moments and my driving habits have room for improvement.
I'm betting my car is much smaller than yours. My roofline is below the windows of most full size trucks and SUVs, and I'm 12' long.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
do the math.
sound travels at about 1000 fps
when you are doing freeway speed that's about 90 fps
it takes 200 ft to stop from 60 mph, best case scenario.
how far are you from the guy who you expect to hear you? a 100 feet at best? assuming the other driver hears you over the stereo or phone call, as well as other ambient noise, and is able to know your position immediately.
then add in possible traction issues, weather, your ability to PERFECTLY modulate both brakes in a panic situation, the condition of your tires and theirs, brakes, and suspension, and your margin dwindles further, even under the best possible scenario. you gotta ask yourself "do ya feel lucky, punk? well, do ya?" cause i know darn well 99% of all bikers do not spend time practicing panic stops and emergency maneuvers. passive safety is not safety. when you depend on someone else for your safety, you play a fool's game. loud pipes don;t save jack shit, except in a parking lot, or a neighborhood. also, loud pipes will NEVER save you from being left-turned, EVER. that's your biggest worry on a bike, followed by being hit from behind at a light. loud pipes don't mean jack there either. lane positioning, attgat, situational awareness, keeping your machine properly maintained, practicing emergency maneuvers. these things will go a hell of alot farther towards your safety than loud pipes.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
do the math.
sound travels at about 1000 fps
when you are doing freeway speed that's about 90 fps
it takes 200 ft to stop from 60 mph, best case scenario.
how far are you from the guy who you expect to hear you? a 100 feet at best? assuming the other driver hears you over the stereo or phone call, as well as other ambient noise, and is able to know your position immediately.
then add in possible traction issues, weather, your ability to PERFECTLY modulate both brakes in a panic situation, the condition of your tires and theirs, brakes, and suspension, and your margin dwindles further, even under the best possible scenario. you gotta ask yourself "do ya feel lucky, punk? well, do ya?" cause i know darn well 99% of all bikers do not spend time practicing panic stops and emergency maneuvers. passive safety is not safety. when you depend on someone else for your safety, you play a fool's game. loud pipes don;t save jack shit, except in a parking lot, or a neighborhood. also, loud pipes will NEVER save you from being left-turned, EVER. that's your biggest worry on a bike, followed by being hit from behind at a light. loud pipes don't mean jack there either. lane positioning, attgat, situational awareness, keeping your machine properly maintained, practicing emergency maneuvers. these things will go a hell of alot farther towards your safety than loud pipes.
If I'm passing you on the highway, you know it.

Most of the times my car has been hit, it was parked. When I'm driving it, I'm loud as fuck, and I drive like I know I'm invisible. I expect to have cars not see me, and I'm often right

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I drive like I know I'm invisible. I expect to have cars not see me, and I'm often right
I ride like I expect people are going to try to kill me. Same in the car. And I've been driving/riding way longer than you and I expect many more miles as well. Yet statistics prove you are 400% more likely to get hit than me. :D
Perhaps the loud pipe is actually acting as a magnet. ;)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
All joking aside, I think the 'loud pipes' thing does, for some, distract from taking more effective measures to ensure one's safety; summed up very nicely by cheezy:
lane positioning, attgat, situational awareness, keeping your machine properly maintained, practicing emergency maneuvers. these things will go a hell of alot farther towards your safety than loud pipes.

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
The issue I have is the loud pipes and exhaust systems once these people are on residential streets. You can talk about safety issues on large roads, but theres the issue that those bikes/cars can't drive down a small street at night without still being pretty damn noisy. Or go through a school or hospital zone without being noisy.

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
Tory can take aim all he wants; the only thing he’s gonna do is shoot himself in the foot.
If the noise problem isn't taken care of, streets will close to motorcycle traffic. Look at the various towns in Quebec where motorcycles are no longer welcome. Do you want that to happen? It will if the idiots with straight pipes don't stop. And yes, long-time motorcycle rider here.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
The weekend warriors ride down Avenue Road on their way to parking their big Harleys in Yorkville to show off. My stretch of Avenue Road (at St. Clair) is right at the top of a hill, so you hear them gunning it right over the top of the hill and it reverberates between the buildings and is loud. It sounds like a chainsaw in my living room. They need to shut the hell up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts