The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**I'll apologize first for the seemingly OT thread in this section, as much of it has to do with home reno/improvement.....sorta**

I "upgraded" my Halogen Switch to an LED switch for the GU10 bulbs in my basement. Moved my amps to a different location in the room and now there is a very noticeable noise issue stemming from the new bulbs/circuit/dimmer swtich. Not sure which. When I go to dim the lights, the noisy either increases or decreases according to where the dimmer switch happens to be. Turning the lights off removes the noise issue to a normal 60 cycle hum. The noise issue isn't new as I did the switch update for LED lights sometime last year. It's just much more apparent after moving the amps around the room.

So here are the options I can think of.

- Turn off the lights. This is practically a no go due to the setup of the room(s), but can be done. Prefer not doing that

- Change the entire lighting setup. Again a feasible option, except it'll cost more than I'm willing to pay. I think, but I haven't really checked. I don't really want to go down that Rabbit hole to be honest.

- Pick up a better light dimmer switch(s). Not sure if anything exists to be honest. But that little bit of electrical work isn't anything to worry about, so if someone knows something, that would be cool. One thing to note is that I only replaced 1 of the 3 switches with an LED one. The other 22 are the old Halogen ones.

- A Power distribution system that will correct/help the noise issue via EMF filters etc. Seems like a good option but many are Rack Mount so my slight OCD would implore me to buy more shit as I have no rack unit enclosure.

Any idears or solutions guys?

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
there is a special dimmer required for dimmable led's

i use the leviton 6674

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Check to see if the outlet/outlets are on the same breaker circuit as the lights... if not they may be on the same 110v phase as the lights......

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Dimmer switches are a common cause of noise. I read once that recording studios make a point of recording with all lights out, and play by the light of a window. Good luck with your battle.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check to see if the outlet/outlets are on the same breaker circuit as the lights... if not they may be on the same 110v phase as the lights......
Yeah. I'll have to do that...I'm pretty sure they are. The Amp on the other side of the room doesn't seem to exhibit the same reaction. But the BS is a Head and the BJ is a combo. Yup, I'm all about BS and BJ's!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts