The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Those of you who have been around long enough might remember my good friend Mark (Lowtones). He started building guitars a few years ago and this was his first set neck guinea pig. It used to look like this.

As the years went by I picked up a PRS Custom 24, also in Blue Matteo. The "Blue Angel" Newsom (nicknamed by Mark) always had a few "idiosyncrasies" that he was going to look at fixing when he had the time, one of which was refinishing the body. I figured we may as well change the colour while he was at it as I now had the PRS. He was also going to give me a new neck that was a little beefier. Here is the result. Pics don't do it justice, I'll try for some outdoor shots tomorrow. He can go into details on what he did. The black looks terrific and the old blue flame still shows through in certain light. Neck feels fantastic and the Lollars that I put in her sound great. He's used this to experiment with a couple of things, the neck binding is flame maple for example :)

·
Premium Member
17,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some outdoor shots. I'll never be a good photographer but these will give you some idea of what he's done with the neck.

·
Premium Member
17,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is that.

Here's link to his site, I doubt it's up to date :)

Newsom Guitars

Awesome, or, about what I expected from Mark. He gave me some help and advise on my build. I went to his shop and he has a real nice set up there. Great guy!

·
Premium Member
17,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL, thanks. Don't forget the maple jack cover :)

Wow Dave, flame binding and skunk stripe and a birdseye compartment cover...whew!

That's really nice! Yes, the blue in certain light is a cool touch.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
WOW....That is a total transformation! Glad you took pics outside because the other ones did not do justice. The maple binding on the neck look's fantastic as well as everything else. Again...congrats and enjoy.
Here are some outdoor shots. I'll never be a good photographer but these will give you some idea of what he's done with the neck.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics Dave, and thanks for the comments guys. That was the third or forth guitar that I built back in 2004 or 2005. it was the first of that style, first carve top, first set neck, first non dot inlays, First of a lot of things. I was hung up on one piece necks back then. As Dave mentioned this guitar has been quite the learning tool for me. I've made so many changes to this guitar over the years , that I have incorporated into other builds, that I now refer to it as Morph. Dave has been awesome about it all, How many guys come to you wanting a small change to or something repaired on their guitar and you can say to them, Oh by the way I been thinking about trying doing this or that. Mind if I experiment on your guitar? Might take a while. Dave would always say hey no rush, it's not like I don't have anything else to play.
BTW I'm going to branch out a little and make some Ukuleles, just making the mold and some jigs at the moment. Should be fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.