The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
allright, until maybe last year, the only place I'd heard this expression was years ago when I had New Zealand and Aussie roomates

in my area recently, EVERYONE is saying this now. Not that it's a bad thing; I just find it odd that suddenly it has superceded "EH?" in our vocabulary

One waitress said "no worries" about 5 times in the span of 30 seconds!!

is there some super-popular TV show on now, where one of the characters says this?

or is it due to the Virgin mobile/radio advertising.....I notice they always have an Aussie girl doing the voice

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Still, better than "No wucker's!"

No wucking forries.

No f*cking worries!

"Best mediocre guitarist in Calgary!"

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
OMG! How can people be so... whatever?

Other meaningless sayings (with the Kapn's Korrections):

"At this point and time..." (At this time, OR, At this point.)
"I'd like to take this opportunity to thank..." (I thank...)
"Irregardless and notwithstanding" (Regardless.)
"Our thoughts and prayers" (probably both lies)

Etc. What pointless idioms annoy you?

·
Premium Member
8,723 Posts
Radio and TV people are bad for saying 'consecutively......in a row'. Drives me crazy.

I guess I should just take a 'no worries' attitude.

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
"No worries mate; fuck em all let god sort em."

Always seemed like good advice for when you're just starting out in life or anywhere along the way for that matter ...lol

·
Premium Member
10,069 Posts
I've been saying "no worries" my whole life. I have no idea where I picked it up.
same here...since high school anyways...and I'm old.

I always thought "Basically...."was an over used expression, usually without the person realizing that its sort of condescending.
and the theres the ones that are plain old wrong, like "...for all intensive purposes..." which reveals that the person likely got stuck watching PBS one time, but didn't really get it.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Sometimes, I think we are misquoting the original idiom, likely because someone before us and before them did as well. Like:

"At this point and time..." (At this time, OR, At this point.)
..........I believe was actual "At this point in time" - which at least makes grammatical sense.

the ones that are plain old wrong, like "...for all intensive purposes..." which reveals that the person likely got stuck watching PBS one time, but didn't really get it.
.............and that I believe was "for all intents and purposes." Again, at least grammatically correct.

My major pet peeve lately is when my boss says "My ask of you ....." I keep reminding him that ask is not a noun. Request? Sure, that can be used as either a noun or verb, but ask, not so much. Really, just about anything that comes out of his mouth is a pet peeve. Not saying he's stupid - I don't have to. He opens his mouth and shows us all on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
I thought so too at first , but then it occurred to me that any recognition of mea culpa from a human being is just so dang rare/refreshing that it just don't bother me no more.

·
Premium Member
10,069 Posts
My major pet peeve lately is when my boss says "My ask of you ....." I keep reminding him that ask is not a noun. Request? Sure, that can be used as either a noun or verb, but ask, not so much. Really, just about anything that comes out of his mouth is a pet peeve. Not saying he's stupid - I don't have to. He opens his mouth and shows us all on a regular basis.
at least he tries...I come across far too many at work who say things like "I have only one ask...."...in my head I'm thinking "ya, and as usual youre talking out of it".

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
Crocodile Dundee, wasn't it? Might well have been around earlier, but I think that's when it hit my conscious mind.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts