The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a replacement kit from RS Guitarworks. It was on sale, regular $45, sale for $29. It was last day so, I went for it. I looked at the shipping options., $10 UPS or $22 EMS. I just couldn't do UPS - the idea getting hit by their obscene brokerage fees scared me. I went EMS (Express Mail International). Well, it arrived today, delivered by Purolator. No taxes, or brokerage. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
I also bought a kit from RSGuitarworks last week, only I chose UPS - what a big mistake. $10.30 for freight, and when they delivered it they wanted another $28.00 for brokerage and taxes, which meant 10.30 plus 28.00 = $38.30 for a kit that only cost $37.00. I refused the shipment when it was delivered, and UPS in its superior way of doing things has now tried to deliver it to me again... for the 3rd time! When I contacted RSGuitarworks to inform them of the situation they said I could have used USPS but that was $30.00. There is no way I'm paying $30.00 for a $37.00 item. On a good note this is the only time I've ever had an issue importing from the states; and, the last kit I got from RSGuitarworks had a couple of scratchy pots in it, so I'm not really sure if they're worth the extra money. Might just order some replacement pots from GuitarParts Canada.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
RS has to get it's act together. This is the only reason I refuse to buy from them.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just to note..

I got a Tim pedal from a TGP member about a month and a half ago. He marked the item "Gift" but declared the value of it to be $100 (I actually paid over twice that). Anyway, I didn't get charged a single dime by customs!

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also bought a kit from RSGuitarworks last week, only I chose UPS - what a big mistake. $10.30 for freight, and when they delivered it they wanted another $28.00 for brokerage and taxes, which meant 10.30 plus 28.00 = $38.30 for a kit that only cost $37.00....
I'm glad I went with my gut on this one.

·
All the way to ten
936 Posts
The last time I bought from RS I was able to choose something like regular parcel post. It was less than UPS and took longer but I didn't get dinged at the border.

I think getting charged fees at the border with Canada Post largely depends on whether the agent feels like doing there job at that particular time or not.

I agree UPS is unreasonable in it's fees. Canada post has never charged me a fee over $7.00. I phoned UPS over a $40 charge on a $75.00 parcel and was told that brokerage fees are charged based on the value of the shipment. I don't think value has any bearing on paper work up to a certain point so to me that is completely unreasonable.

I

·
0 Posts
I think getting charged fees at the border with Canada Post largely depends on whether the agent feels like doing there job at that particular time or not.
+1 to that. I find the chance of getting inspected far less with Canada Post.

I agree UPS is unreasonable in it's fees. Canada post has never charged me a fee over $7.00. I phoned UPS over a $40 charge on a $75.00 parcel and was told that brokerage fees are charged based on the value of the shipment. I don't think value has any bearing on paper work up to a certain point so to me that is completely unreasonable.
Yup, it's a binned system for their fees. I've yelled long and loud at them before to no avail. It is a very silly system. They do have the bins up on the web site now:

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

The thing about UPS is they make shipping stuff really, really easy. As someone who ships a lot of stuff it's always more work to use DHL, and a lot more work to use Canada Post. UPS comes to my door, brings boxes, helps me back it, and carts it away. And for very little money from my end. They just get it all back when they drop it off at the customer's end. I try to avoid them whenever I can but sometimes they're the only solution to a shipping problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had an amp shipped to me via UPS from Victoria Amp Company, and was not hit for brokerage or taxes, so it's not just a value thing. (The amp was/is a bit more than $45.00:smile:)
They can take months to bill a high dollar item. Were there no customs papers when you got the amp?

·
Registered
129 Posts
The thing about UPS is they make shipping stuff really, really easy.
I've been using Canada Post/USPS for everything now. Cheapest and least damaged packages. Cheap insurance.

Last UPS shipment left a $5K guitar on my porch, even though the seller, Capsule Music, asked for signoff.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I know I've ordered things from Tubes to pedals with no duty yet. The one time I bought used car speakers off of Ebay I was dinged with the cost of duty on the speakers new! Nice hey?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hi,

I know I've ordered things from Tubes to pedals with no duty yet. The one time I bought used car speakers off of Ebay I was dinged with the cost of duty on the speakers new! Nice hey?
Did you challenge? Most times you'll win and it costs nothing :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Nah I just paid the fees... I wish I knew about challenging the charges. The speakers were $80 used and duty was $48. That was 4 yrs ago though

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also bought a kit from RSGuitarworks last week, only I chose UPS - what a big mistake. $10.30 for freight, and when they delivered it they wanted another $28.00 for brokerage and taxes, which meant 10.30 plus 28.00 = $38.30 for a kit that only cost $37.00. I refused the shipment when it was delivered, and UPS in its superior way of doing things has now tried to deliver it to me again... for the 3rd time! When I contacted RSGuitarworks to inform them of the situation they said I could have used USPS but that was $30.00. There is no way I'm paying $30.00 for a $37.00 item. On a good note this is the only time I've ever had an issue importing from the states; and, the last kit I got from RSGuitarworks had a couple of scratchy pots in it, so I'm not really sure if they're worth the extra money. Might just order some replacement pots from GuitarParts Canada.
Sorry to say this on my first post but...This is why more and more people in the US won't ship to Canadians. I hope you still paid the shipping fees.You the customer need to research what extra charges may be applied when shipping from the States to Canada it's not their fault UPS charged a brokerage fee. Won't be long before we can't order from RSGuitarworks...Thanks

·
Registered
944 Posts
This is why more and more people in the US won't ship to Canadians.
That comment irritated me, sorry.

My US based wholesalers are smart enough to not even offer a courier option to Canadians. If RSGuitarworks wants to pull a McMaster style hissy-fit, their loss... we are the customer, we employ them, we can go elsewhere :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree if you chose USPS which charge the $5 to brokerage it through the border and the company decided to ship Ups or Fed Ex then by all means don't pay the brokerage and complain. But if you knowingly ship through a courier pay the price.

I guess this strikes a chord because I've missed out on some good deals from the States because of Canadians refusing the shipment. They didn't know the fees involved refused the item, then stopped payment on the item. The sellers down there won't get burned twice and who can blame them.:rockon:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts