The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Father-in-law recently dropped off a Spectrum brand strat styled guitar he picked up. He plans to send it to auction. He always makes a decent buck doing it. He asked me to look it over and give it a set up.

First thing I did was plug it in. No sound. Wiggle the nobs and the jack, nothing. It only has a single humbucker in it so it's not a switch issue. So I pop off the back covers and everything looks like it's soldered well and I don't see any kinks or anything glaring at me. I pulled the pickup ring off and inspected the pickup and same thing, I didn't see anything loose or glaringly obvious. I will admit that my knowledge of the electronics in a guitar are limited. How do I go about testing to see where the problem is? What kind of tools will I need to do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Something's grounding out. Can you post close up detailed pics of the wiring you could post?

·
Premium Member
149 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Or possibly a dead pickup?
First thing to check to avoid wasting time. Desolder the hot lead (you can just alligator clip the ground to not waste time) and connect to a fresh jack and plug that in to a test amp - whatcha got?

Reactions: greco
1 - 7 of 7 Posts