The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a strange place sometimes.....

Did anyone follow the Olympic hockey?
I watched a little of both the mens and womens...couldn't get too excited...
On the womens side it was largely the same old story...2 teams running over everyone else until it results in a tight showdown between Can & US.
They sure created "parity" in the mens hockey by removing the NHL players. But I couldn't get excited by it...
My FIL commented after watching the Can vs SUI game that he didn't think the NHL players could have done any better. I think hes a rube...Instead of a 4-0 game it would have easily been an 8-0 game, and no way Germany would have beat Canada.

The real story though is how well Canada is doing in the medal count, and how much the US seems to have dropped off.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I noticed that, but I did not want to start a thread. Not sure how enthusiastic others feel about this year's Winter Olympics. This is mostly a guitar forum, after all.

The men's hockey games were a bit meh. Too bad there will be no gold, but I am proud that a team of mostly young players with a few seasoned ex-NHL'ers have gotten this far. Even if they made it to the gold medal game, I am not sure if they could match the Russians.

I actually enjoyed the women' games a bit more. I am no expert, but I think Canada began to lose steam by the third period. The OT period was all American. I think the Americans were more "hungry" and thus more motivated. It would be nice if they would allow the teams to play on until one side eventually score a goal. I dislike shootouts in either hockey or soccer, especially in a big game like this. The Americans pressed hard during the OT, and I think they deserve the gold medal.

It would be boring to the rest of the world, if we win all the time. Hockey is our game, anyway. If possible, I would like to see all-amateur teams playing against each other in the Olympics, and not just hockey.

That said, I think Gary Bettman is a hoser.

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I think the parity in this years hockey is probably good for the game, globally.

On another note, I thought the mixed doubles curling was an interesting addition. It actually looked more like a sport. and that should be a sport where there is little difference between the sexes.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
this is a strange place sometimes.....

Did anyone follow the Olympic hockey?
I watched a little of both the mens and womens...couldn't get too excited...
On the womens side it was largely the same old story...2 teams running over everyone else until it results in a tight showdown between Can & US.
They sure created "parity" in the mens hockey by removing the NHL players. But I couldn't get excited by it...
My FIL commented after watching the Can vs SUI game that he didn't think the NHL players could have done any better. I think hes a rube...Instead of a 4-0 game it would have easily been an 8-0 game, and no way Germany would have beat Canada.

The real story though is how well Canada is doing in the medal count, and how much the US seems to have dropped off.
The other big story is "Another Russian being investigated for doping. First a Russian curler and now a Russian bobsledder." When will they learn? So many Russians were banned from going to the Olympics and still they try to cheat.
Canada's medal count is amazing. If you didn't watch "Virtue & Moir" win gold in Ice Dancing, you have no heart. :) Their skating to honour Gord Downie this Sunday at the Olympic Gala.

‘Wake up!’ — Scott Moir caught on camera yelling at refs in gold medal hockey game
It was an extremely Canadian Olympic moment: the gold medal winner in ice dance cheering for Team Canada, beer in hand, screaming at the refs during the women’s hockey final.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
I think that the best thing about the NHL not being at the Olympics is that it seems to give the other sports more airtime. Not so much because of the games themselves, but there doesn't seem to be the endless pre- and post-game analysis. Also nice to see such a high Canadian medal count despite the poor results in curling. Though I'm sure that the depleted Russian team is a factor too.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I watched quite a bit. I for one enjoy the winter Olympics more the summer games.

Parity is a good word for the Men's hockey. In reality, Canada and the US didn't stand much of a chance. I certainly didn't think either team would do anything. At almost every world event (World Juniors excepted) since Nagano 98, the two North American teams have iced players made up of 100% NHLers. Teams like Russia, Sweden, Czech, and Finland use a lot, but not all. The reality that the German team wouldn't look all that different if the NHL did take part, means those guys were their best! Even Russia. Datsyuk, Kovalchuk.... those guys could lace up for any NHL team tonight and be difference makers. And they would absolutely be on the Russian... sorry, the Olympic Athletes from Russia team regardless. I don't fall into a woe-is-me breakdown because Germany beat Canada to get into the gold medal game, far from it. I commend Canada for winning the bronze! It was heavily stacked against them. It shows the true depth of our talent pool. These guys play in "lesser leagues", but they still out performed all but two other teams in the tournament.

As for the woman's.... I feel the "better" team won. I watched the whole game, beginning to end. The US outplayed Canada! They were faster, they were better organized, they executed set plays better, and they got better scoring chances from everywhere. I do not know the number, but I don't think Canada got a shot on the US net from within the hash-marks all 3rd period. They swatted at loose pucks, the US gobbled them up, and controlled loose pucks. It sucks, I would have loved for the Canadian women to have won, and set a record for 5 straight golds.... but they didn't. And thankfully, this was not a lopsided penalties game. Canada took more, I think 3 or 4 PK's in a row, but a lot were "good calls". You cannot throw an open ice hit in the woman's game, Canada did! Often!
Poulin should have been tossed for the hit to the American right in front of the Canadian net in the 3rd. Thankfully she wasn't, but that was a missed call. Scott Stevens couldn't have thrown a better hit!

In the end, it's good. Maybe Canada had become complacent. This might shake it up! And the US were ranked #1 in the world coming in. On paper, we were the underdogs.

A Canadian record for 29 medals, finishing 3rd. Nice... and on the last day, we were in 2nd in the medal count. That's pretty cool. Who knows, Canada's Alex Harvey came 4th in the "Mass Start Cross Country" behind a Finn, and 2 Russians. If we find out later one had doped.... bang!! 30 Medals!

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Not sure I agree as to the hockey results. Even Don Cherry said the Russian referee was biased in as much as he would much rather his OAR team played Germany in the final than Canada using the penalty to Borque in the faceoff which led to a power play goal as an example. Canada peppered Germany in the 3rd but just couldn't get that tieing goal before time ran out.

As to the woman. All those penalties to Canada in the first period played a part in the final results also. Hard to score when your in the penalty box. The first penalty to Canada was a joke. The US player runs into the Canadian and falls down and Canada gets a penalty. All the US players had to do was fall down and Canada's back in the penalty box. I'm not sure we watched the same game if you think the US outplayed Canada during the first 3 periods but the US definitely out played Canada in the overtime period. They beat us in the shootout so they deserved to win. It can go either way in a shootout.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Not sure I agree as to the hockey results. Even Don Cherry said the Russian referee was biased in as much as he would much rather his OAR team played Germany in the final than Canada using the penalty to Borque in the faceoff which led to a power play goal as an example. Canada peppered Germany in the 3rd but just couldn't get that tieing goal before time ran out.

As to the woman. All those penalties to Canada in the first period played a part in the final results also. Hard to score when your in the penalty box. The first penalty to Canada was a joke. The US player runs into the Canadian and falls down and Canada gets a penalty. All the US players had to do was fall down and Canada's back in the penalty box. I'm not sure we watched the same game if you think the US outplayed Canada during the first 3 periods but the US definitely out played Canada in the overtime period. They beat us in the shootout so they deserved to win. It can go either way in a shootout.
This is what I love about sports... I'm fairly certain we watched the same game. In the NHL, bigger and more physical is a pretty good road to success. Just look at the last time the Ducks won, beating Ottawa. They were skilled, but physical. I'm sure the instructions were: "When Ottawa touches the puck, drive them through the boards". And it worked, Ottawa became afraid to touch the puck. In the woman's game, that's a useless theory. Unfortunately, Canada was bigger and stronger. Some of the calls were chintzy, but not all. The first 2 periods, it was fairly equal, but the US were faster, and better organized. By the 3rd, (it looked to me as if) Canada was out of gas. They still made the OT exciting, and had their chances to finish it, as did the US. As much as I dislike shootouts, that's the nature of the tournament. Everyone knows it's on the table going in. Seems we agree on that...

As for Don calling bias.... he's not exactly the best judge.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
What I love about the Olympics this year is that they are over and I have not seen one single event or followed it at all except for what I couldn't avoid in headlines.

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
I enjoyed what I could but the time shift was brutal. Important hockey games were starting at 3:45 PST. I'd wake up and catch the last little half of the 3rd period. Would I have set an alarm if the pro's were playing? Maybe. Maybe not.

I'm curious to see what the NHL does for China '22. The same horrid time shift, but the NHL seems keen to promote itself to China.

I thought the women's gold game was entertaining but 20 minutes of 4-on-4 OT on the big international ice was a bit brutal. But the US was better in OT, and I think if it went until 'the next goal', the US would have likely been the victor. I think far too much was made of the '5 in a row' thing, kind of a jinx.

Curlers were such a disappointment. Moreso than hockey, we tend to own that sport internationally. And I'm sure no one feels worse than Homan and Koe. They both had tough tournaments. And as all these new nations hire Canadian coaches, they are bound to get better at our game. It was just a matter of time. Curling is becoming a major draw at the Winter O's now - to think it was a demonstration sport (and a very successful one) at the Calgary games in '88.

Reactions: SWLABR

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
The women's hockey was entertaining. At least the final was. The men's hockey was basically the Spengler Cup... just like the NHL, but without the speed or skill (and with no fighting). I enjoyed a lot of the snowboard and ski events that they imported from the X-games. I actually didn't mind the figure skating. I'm told curling is now "hot". I still find it as interesting as cross-country skiing (i.e. not).
LOL

I get that. If you play the game, it is much more interesting to watch. Especially from a strategy POV. It's like chess, but you can't necessarily put the pieces where you would like.

I don't golf so watching that on TV is akin to watching grass grow. In fact, that is the most entertaining part of the broadcast - watching the greens grow while the commentators speak in hushed, respectful tones. Back when I ski'd I enjoy those Warren Miller movies. Now I can't stand them.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I don't golf so watching that on TV is akin to watching grass grow. In fact, that is the most entertaining part of the broadcast - watching the greens grow while the commentators speak in hushed, respectful tones. Back when I ski'd I enjoy those Warren Miller movies. Now I can't stand them.
I couldn't stand watching golf, till I took up golf. I don't have cable TV, so I only watch some golf throughout the year. Big tournaments. Masters, Opens, etc... but I when I visit my dad, I watch the Golf Channel as much as I can. Sometimes he wonders why I really made the hour and a half trek.

I have skied, but I am not a skier.... I really enjoyed all the X-Games type ski/snowboard events at the Olympics. I could take or leave the "normal" downhill stuff.

·
Registered
484 Posts
High/Deaf Started it!

... I couldn't help myself.

In my defense, I did end the post topically.

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
How the heck did we get onto golf. Winter games people. Winter Olympics. Come on!!!
Hey, it added three posts to a thread that wasn't going very far - especially now that all that's left of the 2018 games is the hangover.

Curling, golf, skiing - as the Meatman said, 2 outa 3 ain't bad.

Reactions: SWLABR
1 - 16 of 16 Posts