The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I lowballed a guy in Halton Hills and picked myself up an Avid Eleven Rack for $300. He wanted $350 firm, but saying I'll be there in less than 24 hours really gets people motivated.

The guy I purchased it from kindly demonstrated some of the tones and explained how he had it set up. It sounded amazing. I don't know why I was expecting it to sound like garbage.

He said the key was running it through a tubed power amp. He was using a Mesa 20/20, so I've been scouring the net for one or a marshall alternative.

Then it occurred to me - the Fryette Power Station is THE amp multi-tool for the job. I stuck it into the effects return and I could only get a slight taste before my wife reamed me out. The volume went 1, 2, 10 with no happy medium. I thought that was weird, since it's a bloody attenuator.

I went back to the Fryette Youtube Demo and realized I should have put plugged it into the line in, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to check it out. Nevertheless, I have effectively added tubes to the chain and can't wait to let it rip tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Nice work. I never gave the eleven a look.
When you get a chance, top 3 factory settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice work. I never gave the eleven a look.
When you get a chance, top 3 factory settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For sure. I'll make a few clips.

For the price of a couple of pedals, I couldn't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an 11r I run into a Yamaha DXR10, sounds killer, absolutely no need for an amp and cab!! Here's a quick clip of my JCM800 patch.

https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fpat6969-227357200%2Fguitar-track
That does sound really good. I was considering that speaker over the atomic clr - in the shootouts it sounds better to me, but, again, I'm leary when using YouTube as a reference.

I'm enjoying the 11r more and more each day.

I just need a couple of hours with it to dial in a bluesy lead tone though.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CLR is good but the Yamaha kicks butt as well, sounds really good for half the price.
I couldn't take it anymore. I stopped at Steve's Music to try the Yamaha DXRs (I brought the 11r with me).

It sounded good, but I urge you to try it with a quality tube power amp and cabinet. It is a completely different animal.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I couldn't take it anymore. I stopped at Steve's Music to try the Yamaha DXRs (I brought the 11r with me).

It sounded good, but I urge you to try it with a quality tube power amp and cabinet. It is a completely different animal.
I used to use it with an amp and cab but the reason I went to a modeller was to get rid of lugging all that gear around. It takes a bit of time to get a real good patch to go through a monitor but it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the 11r easy to use? I have a POD that I run through a keyboard amp. I imagine a newer rack unit would be a considerable upgrade. My fear is that I'd end up over my head though, the POD is so easy to use.
I find it extremely easy to use and I'm not good at this stuff at all.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Is the 11r easy to use? I have a POD that I run through a keyboard amp. I imagine a newer rack unit would be a considerable upgrade. My fear is that I'd end up over my head though, the POD is so easy to use.
Great thing about the 11r is it's been around a while so there are tons of presets available to download into the unit. You'd spend a bit of time demoing them but once you found something you like you'd be off to the races and smiling from ear to ear.

·
Administrator
15,979 Posts
I find it extremely easy to use and I'm not good at this stuff at all.
I had one when they first came out and really liked it. The only downside to me was the link with ProTools. Now that a standalone editor is available I'll be picking up another one. It sounded great and was really easy to use. I'm toying with the idea of mating it to a Quilter Powerblock, or something like it, but I'll see if it's as good as my memory tells me it was first :)

Keep us posted on how you're making out with it please.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had one when they first came out and really liked it. The only downside to me was the link with ProTools. Now that a standalone editor is available I'll be picking up another one. It sounded great and was really easy to use. I'm toying with the idea of mating it to a Quilter Powerblock, or something like it, but I'll see if it's as good as my memory tells me it was first :)

Keep us posted on how you're making out with it please.
Just a quick update - I'm loving this unit. To say that it's the best $300 I've ever spent on gear would be a bit misleading though, because I really feel the power amp makes a MASSIVE difference. Do you have one kicking around (is that what the Quilter is?)? I heard this unit through a Mesa 20/20 and it sounded amazing. It also sounds great through my Fryette Power Station. I'm only thinking the Mesa sounds better, because I don't own it:)

The stand alone editor is fantastic and I'm currently trying to acquire the Expansion Pack (Those goofs at Avid haven't resolved an on-going issue with serial numbers and systemIDs matching up). You HAVE to check out some of the youtube emulations - satriani, eric johnson, etc. Very good stuff.

Once I get the parametric EQ from the expansion pack, I'm going to try and eliminate the need for my Marshall...and I won't sell it first this time.

·
Administrator
15,979 Posts
The Quilter I was looking at is a rack mountable power amp. Solid State however. I don't have anything lying around right now.

http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/toneblock-amplifiers/tone-block-200

Stereo version is also available.

I will be keeping my eyes open for a good quality used power amp in the meantime, but I'd really like to keep the weight down.

I think the one coming to me already has the expansion pack on it. My old one did and it was well worth having.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
For what it's worth, the rather big band we share our jamspace with uses Quilter poweramps for their axe fx rigs. I believe a forum pal in Seattle (not Ian haha) also runs a quilter power amp for one of his rigs, and he loves it to pieces.

·
Administrator
15,979 Posts
I'm really surprised you guys run these through amps and cabs. Try it with the cab sims on and through a good powered monitor. I use a Yamaha DRX10 and it sounded amazing!!
I'm planning on trying it through my PA just to see if I like it that way first. I only used it for recording direct to computer in the past.

The Rocktron Velocity 300 seems to get good reviews as a power amp for the 11r so I'll add that to my list of potentials along with the Quilter. In fact I wonder if the Rocktron Velocity 100 LTD might be enough power for my needs.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
The Velocity 300 is a great amp, I had one. The reactance control is wonderful. I also had a Mesa 2:fifty that was nice. Ultimately when I learned to dial it in I preferred it through a powered monitor.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm really surprised you guys run these through amps and cabs. Try it with the cab sims on and through a good powered monitor. I use a Yamaha DRX10 and it sounded amazing!!
I actually worked a job right by Steve's Music in Toronto and saw they had the DRX10s there. I packed up the 11r and headed down. They only had a DRX12 on the floor, so we went in the studio area and plugged it into that.

TBH, me, the studio guy and the guitar guy were pretty underwhelmed. I let the older gentlemen muck around with the EQ (I'm still a newb in this area), but the dirt couldn't be made to sound convincing. I realize that to get it to sound as good as the clip you posted earlier, it probably either needs some serious tweaking, or a good resource for patches created by users with a similar set-up (i.e. yamaha drx10)

I've been working on an 80s metal tone for a while now, and I not sure how interested you guys are in hearing it (being 80s metal and all, haha), but it's one of the nicest I've ever played - it's very very similar to the Friedman HBE clone I had.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts