The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went full Clint EAstwood on the lawn today. My 8 year old Lawn Boy that served me rather unexpectedly well bit the bullet and seized about 3 weeks ago. I had managed to get the back and 3/4 of the front cut before it quit. I decided to wait for some end of season sales which was really rather uneventful. Went out today to check out Home Depot but nothing was on sale and from my experience the product was sub standard for the price. So this is what I came home with. After piecing it together in about 10 minutes, it took me about the same time to cut my lawn as the Lawn Boy. All for $140. Found out quickly that speed is the key so I pretty much ran up and down the lawn like a friggin fool. Here the results. Was a better cut than any of the 4 I've used in the last 30 years or more.

Mower after the initial test

Backyard done

Front yard done

I figured I'd get this one now and wait till the Spring to get a gas mower. But I might just change my mind and use this one. Great for mulching! LAst time I used one was when I was 10 years old cutting my Grandfather's lawn in the Crowsnest Pass. Anyone else using these?

·
Registered
24,373 Posts
I think a lot of us are probably associating push-mowers with heavy units with dull blades, arising from our parents' inattention to sharpening when the sharpening guy with the handbell came around the neighbourhood, with push-mowers in general. Our new neighbour across the street uses a slim lightweight push-mower he bought at Lee Valley to do his lawn (and I assume his back yard, which I can't normally see). The results are quite decent, though I can't tell how much effort it requires. I'd been using a corded electric unit for a few years, and my wife decided it was too heavy for her. She bought herself a battery-operated mower and converted me.

I suspect a goodly portion of the perceived effort involved in mowing a normal-sized lot (we'll exclude those properties that really warrant a ride-on mower, by virtue of size) comes from the energy required to push a heavy mower around. Reduce the weight considerably, and it becomes a less onerous task. So if contemporary push mower can provide a lightweight chassis, and blades that remain fairly sharp, I imagine it is a much easier chore, and pleasingly quiet.

P

·
0 Posts
I bought a 22" self propelled Husqvarna mower with a Honda engine a number of years ago. Those Honda engines are the best. Other than Stihl chainsaws and bushwackers, I am going to make sure everything I buy has a Honda motor on it...

I bought one of those analog push mowers a few years ago but my yard is way too large for that style.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a 22" self propelled Husqvarna mower with a Honda engine a number of years ago. Those Honda engines are the best. Other than Stihl chainsaws and bushwackers, I am going to make sure everything I buy has a Honda motor on it...

I bought one of those analog push mowers a few years ago but my yard is way too large for that style.
I've heard great things about the Honda engines. My old Lawnboy had the Briggs Stratton which was fantastic as well. Interesting that you bring up the 22" Husqvarna @Player99 . I was at Crappy Tire today and grabbed one to purchase. A little Asian girl gave me a little cart to get the box on, and I took the $550 unit up, paid for it, and asked for some help getting it in my 4x4. The girl at the till said a girl will be up shortly. Girl? (I have no doubt a few females of a certain size could help, but none of the ones in that store could've done a thing. Way to heavy to help get it in the truck). Waited about 5 minutes, and a nice young guy in his 20's asked me if I wanted his help. I said sure, thanks. So I told the clerk it's OK, I didn't need the help. She said I still had to wait for the girl to help because of the cart they gave me to bring it up front. WUT? So the dude says sorry man, and I said no probs. Then I asked the clerk if I needed someone to go with me out of the store so I could return the mower. SHe said no, it's ok. So I went out, back in the entrance, and promptly return the mower. Told the person that I was returning it because the store policy superseded it's Customer service. I was totally pleasant with everyone and didn't raise a fuss, but the particular store I was at is just the shits as far as Canadian Tire stores are concerned. Just happens to be close to my place.

P

·
0 Posts
I've heard great things about the Honda engines. My old Lawnboy had the Briggs Stratton which was fantastic as well. Interesting that you bring up the 22" Husqvarna @Player99 . I was at Crappy Tire today and grabbed one to purchase. A little Asian girl gave me a little cart to get the box on, and I took the $550 unit up, paid for it, and asked for some help getting it in my 4x4. The girl at the till said a girl will be up shortly. Girl? (I have no doubt a few females of a certain size could help, but none of the ones in that store could've done a thing. Way to heavy to help get it in the truck). Waited about 5 minutes, and a nice young guy in his 20's asked me if I wanted his help. I said sure, thanks. So I told the clerk it's OK, I didn't need the help. She said I still had to wait for the girl to help because of the cart they gave me to bring it up front. WUT? So the dude says sorry man, and I said no probs. Then I asked the clerk if I needed someone to go with me out of the store so I could return the mower. SHe said no, it's ok. So I went out, back in the entrance, and promptly return the mower. Told the person that I was returning it because the store policy superseded it's Customer service. I was totally pleasant with everyone and didn't raise a fuss, but the particular store I was at is just the shits as far as Canadian Tire stores are concerned. Just happens to be close to my place.
They are fantastic mowers. You should have stuck it out. I bought mine from Lowes. They had a $100 off so I got it for about $450, but now they are really expensive. They have the large wheels at the back now, but mine has small ones. It starts first pull all summer, and on the 3rd pull in the spring with the same old gas in it from the summer before.

·
Premium Member
16,822 Posts
CLR that handle and you're set! I used to cut grass for a day job for a couple of years - I don't know what make the mowers were, but those things took abuse. We maintained the engine and blades and they kept going.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
That thing cuts really well, I'm impressed.

I've had a Honda 6HP push mower (the real brand name thing) for about 15 years, it starts on the first pull every time has TONS of power and is quiet. I would recommend it if you have a large or thick lawn, BUT I must admit I am tempted by the push mower...it looks very cool.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Yeah, I got a push reel mower at crappy tire earlier this season on sale for about $100. Tiny yard, grass only inna back, not worth getting a gas or even electric.

Before that I had a buds on long term loan but he needed it back.

The new ones work so much better than the ones I remember as a kid.... but that may be attributablke to condition; new vs used and abused.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figured I'd grab the Scotts and get a new gas mower in Spring....which more than likely will have a Honda engine and hopefully be on sale at some point. I have a small area in the back in the alley that will be a perfect fit for the Scotts. But I've been on an exercise kick for a while so I might just say screw it an dmow with the Scotts.

·
Premium Member
16,548 Posts
I use an electric rechargable I bought at Lowes. The brand is Kobalt. It has a brushless motor.

It came with two batteries so I never have an issue finishing my property.

It’s whisper quiet, does a great job, and it starts up instantly in spring.

I wish to hell my neighbors would all do the same (or go manual as the OP has done).

Noise pollution is one of my biggest complaints about living in the city.

It’s not as if everybody decides to use their noisy gas mowers at a prescribed time.

No, you listen to one guy for an hour, and just before he’s done, somebody else fires one up. It can go on for hours.

Silence is golden (not as golden as a nice Gold top, but almost).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts