The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that some people are having trouble finding Nitrocellulose Lacquer in Canada. The reason being that it is pretty nasty stuff, with health and environmental issues.

At any rate, if your guitar is more important than your health, you can go here:

http://www.chemcraft.com/system1.htm

And look up one of the distributors in Canada.

Clancy's Rainbow in London caries it, but be prepaired to be warned and talked out of using it - at first thought it seamed a little anoying, but considering how nasty this stuff is I give them full credit for doing the right thing.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'll be putting my nitro supply store online shortly. Should be ready by Sept. Will be for Canucks only and have nitro clear and colors in 11oz aerosol cans.

I cant read anymore reports of people painting guitars with Krylon. Must do something about it.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Lee Valley and several other retail locations sell Deft Lacquer which I have used extensively as it's available in rattle can or regular.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I was thinking of trying Tremclad. If it can brush on the sunshine and turn rust into paint just think what it must be able to do by spraying it on a beautiful piece of wood.:banana:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I'll be putting my nitro supply store online shortly. Should be ready by Sept. Will be for Canucks only and have nitro clear and colors in 11oz aerosol cans.

I cant read anymore reports of people painting guitars with Krylon. Must do something about it.
If Krylon gets your nickers in a nit, this is going to push you right over the edge:

Chrome bumper paint - I painted a strat body with this stuff a little over a year ago for a custom build. It worked, but some metalic grey stuff would always rub off on you. Clear coating over it made everything wrinkle up and get really wierd. I guess I could find out what clear coat will work with it, but I don't think there is much call for chrome bumper painted strats.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Chrome bumper paint - I painted a strat body with this stuff a little over a year ago for a custom build. It worked, but some metalic grey stuff would always rub off on you. Clear coating over it made everything wrinkle up and get really wierd. I guess I could find out what clear coat will work with it, but I don't think there is much call for chrome bumper painted strats.
A guitarist out here painted his guitar with something similar then covered it with a opaque blue. It looks killer and his guitar sounds great. I did up an old strat copy a couple of years ago with a stone finish, turned out great and gets lots of comments.

While I agree there are definite application for when to use Nitro, but I also think there is nothing wrong with using other types of paints if it works and gives the owner the results they want.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Most anyone I have talked to is getting stuff from Reranch. Pretty reasonable prices, great instruction and support

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
watco clear gloss lacquer

last year i bought a quart of watco clear gloss lacquer at a local hardware store, mixed it half and half with lacquer thinner sprayed a neck with excellent results in the past week i emailed watco/rustolieum twice alking if it was nitrocelouse lacquer i have got no responce yet but i found this on the net which a guy called the company they told him it is nitro lacquer
http://www.ptg.org/pipermail/caut/2004-November/013023.html

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
i found this reply in a different build site

Check out www.mohawk.com - nitro in spray cans (clear and colours) or by the gallon. It is available through most building supply shops in Canada by special order. I just order it from the local building supply store - which gets it from the Canadian distributor www.richelieu.com check out this link http://www.richelieu.com/produit/index.php...m=1&id=6819
I once heard they are owned by behelen and it is the same stuff. I use their nitro toner aerosol on my first build and it worked great. Do a check on the net too, I think there are a few internet shops that sell it out of Quebec.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Ive stated many times in the past, that any type of lacquer (straight nitrocellulose, precatalysed and post cat/acid cure) is available through the manufacturer, John E. Goudey Manufacturing Ltd in Toronto.

They are located at 21 Primrose lane, if memory serves me correct its the west end of the city.

I buy my lacquers from them in 20 litre pails for my furniture business, but I know they also sell spray cans, or litres, or gallons, etc.

Check it out - a lot less $$ since they are the manufacturer.

AJC

·
Registered
526 Posts
Driving the nitro accross the border whether one can or a truckload requires paperwork. While it would be somewhat evil - a border agent could charge you with importing explosives. Thats why no one ships it accross the border. The raw material in Nitro requires papers to corss the border. Its not simple paperwork either. Thats why unless you are a wholesaler by the truckload, its just not worth it to ship accross borders.

A can of lacquer is no more dangerous then a can of hairspray for shipping purposes. The reason its a border issue is the raw ingredients can be made into something much more explosive thus its on the list as a highly dangerous substance and being caught at the border without papers is a gamble.

It only takes one border agent with attitude to make the rest of your life quite difficult.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Driving the nitro accross the border whether one can or a truckload requires paperwork. While it would be somewhat evil - a border agent could charge you with importing explosives. Thats why no one ships it accross the border. The raw material in Nitro requires papers to corss the border. Its not simple paperwork either. Thats why unless you are a wholesaler by the truckload, its just not worth it to ship accross borders.

A can of lacquer is no more dangerous then a can of hairspray for shipping purposes. The reason its a border issue is the raw ingredients can be made into something much more explosive thus its on the list as a highly dangerous substance and being caught at the border without papers is a gamble.

It only takes one border agent with attitude to make the rest of your life quite difficult.

Call UPS, FEDEX, Purolator or anyone else you can think of and ask if they will accept aerosole cans of any commodity (even hairspray), they will not.

·
Registered
93 Posts
FedEx will. It must be shipped as Dangerous Goods/ Consumer Commodity Class 9, or Class 2.1, 2.2 depending on the product.

Thanks for the info about John E. Goudey Manufacturing Ltd in Toronto.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts