The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to post this in the other thread, then realized it was dated from last season, so time to start one for the 2018/19 season.

What was expected to be a blockbuster landed with a thud. The Karlsson trade is kind of mind-boggling in terms of not getting much in return. No one made a better offer than this? :eek:

The best summary I saw for what the Sens got for Karlsson was "three balls of yarn and some peanut butter". :D
Let’s Just Contract The Ottawa Senators

·
Registered
949 Posts
First things first - Go Jets Go!

Just sayin’ as the season begins.

Karlsson trade doesnt make sence to me. Apparently it does to Senators Brass.

Ottawa fans are sure to miss him.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I hate the trade, too, but the Sens were dealing from a very, very weak position...the asset wasn't going to re-sign (and everybody knew it), he had a no-movement clause (so the teams they could deal with were limited and those teams knew it) and he is only under contract for this season.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Wow that's a tough scenario. Trouble with attendance already, an owner much of the fan base despises, a team in major rebuild albeit with a talented prospect pool. Yet if the fans don't attend, they potentially relocate. My team's rebuilding too, but I feel for Sens fans.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the Jets look to be going for the 'most penalized' cup again. :(

·
Registered
493 Posts
Leafs look to be modeling the 80's Oilers win philosophy.

"Who cares if we let in 7, we scored 10!"

Yes, it did win a few Cups, but them's the old days. Need to tighten up. So, as much as I really like Jake Gardiner, and feel he's been made the goat a little too unfairly, he needs to go. His offensive talents need to be traded to a team deep with defensive-defense men. They will not go far in the playoffs if Andersen is the busiest (and therefore an exhausted) goalie.... AGAIN!!

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Auston Matthews is having a bit of a hot start. He’s tied Bossy, Lemieux, Kevin Stevens and Gretzky for multiple point games streak to start a season.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Trade Nylander for a big western born farm boy D man or two.
With the emergence of Kapanen as a scoring threat, and GREAT fit with Mathews, I suppose that could happen! And, if he does go to a less than great team, he probably won't drive them into a high standings finish, we get their first pick! Think Tyler Sequin. That still stings.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Kapanen’s been alright, but compared to what Nylander can do with Matthews, I don’t see him as a long-term replacement. Kapanen would fit nicely on Kadri’s wing in the long run with Nylander back up with Matthews. Kapanen has been good during this hot start, but I will wait a while before annointing him.

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you could get a couple decent D for Nylander it'd probably have been done by now. D are hard to come by - look what Edmonton got back for Hall.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
I'd be after trading him long ago, he's got balls asking for that kind of money as a mostly unproven player.
I guess he's looking at other players in his category and trying to get what he can. These guys have a short window to make their money, so I don't blame them for trying to get paid. It's not like the Leafs aren't making enough money to fork over the cash to the players, if it fits under the cap. I think it's in Nylander's best interest to take a bridge deal and get back on the ice to build on his good start to his career.

·
Registered
493 Posts
1 goal in the last two games.... where oh where did the offense go?? Nylander is now sitting back and smiling instead of worried he'd been replaced (I'm thinking). $$$$$$$$$$$$

Getting good D-men in a trade is hard enough, getting them with a trade that sends a forward in return is really hard. I still think Gardiner is the answer for a "responsible" defense-man. I don't want to send Nylander.... or Kapanen.

Reactions: jdto
1 - 20 of 220 Posts