The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats and can you give us some details
A year ago this spring, Epidemic Music Group, a York Region based entertainment group that runs a bunch of festivals, hosts open mics, and books a lot of acts into local venues, put on a 24-hour-a-day concert to try and set a world record for the World's Longest Concert (Featuring Multiple Artists). It was quite a production. There were very strict rules: only five minutes between acts, no more than 30 seconds between songs, no song could be less than 2 minutes, etc. (They celebrated a number of birthdays during the 2 weeks that it was on, but couldn't sing Happy Birthday because it wasn't long enough.) It was held in the upper room of The Earl of Whitchurch Pub in Stouffville. The whole thing had to be videotaped continuously and every artist, song, and audience member documented. It took months afterwards just to get all of the paperwork done. Midway through the attempt, they discovered that another group in Detroit were also making an attempt that had started a couple of days ahead, so they ended up tacking on two additional days. It actually turned into quite a friendly rivalry, with representatives from each group attending the other group's concert and bringing t-shirts, etc.

In the end it was successful, but more importantly, almost $100,000 was raised and split between 18 local charities.

It was one of the coolest and most nerve-wracking experiences of my life. My first set was all solo instrumental with a number of altered tunings, so I had to practice tuning in less than 20 seconds and I had nightmares about breaking a string. In my second set, I skipped a tune in my setlist and didn't realize it until the next day. The adjudicator also failed to notice - it was 2 am on day 13, so everyone was running on empty - I e-mailed them the next day, and the whole thing generated a whole bunch of extra paperwork but it all got sorted out in the end.

A lot of people put a lot of work into it, but it really brought the music community together and a lot of great things have grown out of the whole experience.

The reward should be free Guinness for the rest of your life.
If only. Though most days I'd be willing to pay for something I actually like - I'm a big, stout guy, but I'm not a big stout guy, ;-)

·
Registered
10,063 Posts
A year ago this spring, Epidemic Music Group, a York Region based entertainment group that runs a bunch of festivals, hosts open mics, and books a lot of acts into local venues, put on a 24-hour-a-day concert to try and set a world record for the World's Longest Concert (Featuring Multiple Artists). It was quite a production. There were very strict rules: only five minutes between acts, no more than 30 seconds between songs, no song could be less than 2 minutes, etc. (They celebrated a number of birthdays during the 2 weeks that it was on, but couldn't sing Happy Birthday because it wasn't long enough.) It was held in the upper room of The Earl of Whitchurch Pub in Stouffville. The whole thing had to be videotaped continuously and every artist, song, and audience member documented. It took months afterwards just to get all of the paperwork done. Midway through the attempt, they discovered that another group in Detroit were also making an attempt that had started a couple of days ahead, so they ended up tacking on two additional days. It actually turned into quite a friendly rivalry, with representatives from each group attending the other group's concert and bringing t-shirts, etc.

In the end it was successful, but more importantly, almost $100,000 was raised and split between 18 local charities.

It was one of the coolest and most nerve-wracking experiences of my life. My first set was all solo instrumental with a number of altered tunings, so I had to practice tuning in less than 20 seconds and I had nightmares about breaking a string. In my second set, I skipped a tune in my setlist and didn't realize it until the next day. The adjudicator also failed to notice - it was 2 am on day 13, so everyone was running on empty - I e-mailed them the next day, and the whole thing generated a whole bunch of extra paperwork but it all got sorted out in the end.

A lot of people put a lot of work into it, but it really brought the music community together and a lot of great things have grown out of the whole experience.

If only. Though most days I'd be willing to pay for something I actually like - I'm a big, stout guy, but I'm not a big stout guy, ;-)
I'm small in stature, but big on stout.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, I think I watched some of the livestream!
I had the live-stream on quite a bit - especially when friends were playing and I couldn't get there.

About halfway through the concert they also set a record for the longest continuously live-streamed concert.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts