The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last couple weeks since Xmas I ended up selling my G&L Legacy USA guitar and used the cash to buy myself a 2004 Fender American Series Stratocaster 50th Anniversary! I always wanted an anniversary fender too so I’m happy as hell! It plays som nice and sounds pretty good too! I’m thinking on getting another set of 54 strat style pickups.. something a little more nicer and accurate. I’ve been looking at Mojotone pickups and the lindy Fralin 54 style set. Also thinking on maybe getting vineham to build the set for it which is what I’m leaning towards.
A weeks after I got this I also traded my 2011 Fender American STD Strat for a 2017 Gibson SG Standard in black. This is also one sweet guitar. It has the classic 57 pickups and sounds some mean! The neck feels nice on it also and I’ve been really wanting a Sg lately since I missed the one I sold. Loving these 2 guitars and I think they are keepers! Here’s some pics guys! Let me know what you think!

·
Premium Member
17,321 Posts
Congrats!

I especially like the Strat. Iconic, vintage look.
BTW..Nothing at all wrong with the SG...just have never appealed to me.

I'll be interested to see what you decide Re: Strat pickups.

ENJOY!

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Those Strats are supposed to be sweeeeeet. It seems a million years ago now, but I had the Strat Deluxe 50th and though I never truly bonded with it, I certainly put lots of hours on it, and it was a really good guitar.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I bought a used 60th Anniversary Strat a few years ago, it looks the same as yours , I wonder what differences there would be in two..I have not played mine much, I am using a strat deluxe that i can’t let go of..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The strat is sweet. I’ve been getting really attached to it too. I’ve been useing the Sg mostly lately though just because I only got it a week ago and I love that also but I’ve always been a strat guy. I can see me starting to play it more again soon though, I seem drawn to it lol. I have been considering the vineham 59s also because I never experienced AlNiCo 3 magnets before. Its something I may have to do a little more reading on first.

Reactions: sulphur and greco

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Congrats on 2 great new guitars. If those are the original pickups in that Strat they’re absolutely fantastic! I was going to say please PM me should you ever decide to sell them but you really should leave them. The only change I would make is to install some vintage bent saddles as modern saddles on a guitar with a ‘54 vibe looks wrong to me.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I bought a used 60th Anniversary Strat a few years ago, it looks the same as yours , I wonder what differences there would be in two..I have not played mine much, I am using a strat deluxe that i can’t let go of..
The ‘04 50th in 2TSB was a special guitar as far as Am. Std. Strats are concerned. Unique features include an ash body & Custom 54 pickups. They have a wonderful voice: slightly mid-scooped with tight bottom end, bell-like highs that avoid being strident. IIRC they were wound with cloth wire on a normal plastic Fender USA bobbin & only came on that particular guitar.

Cosmetic upgrades for that model vs. other Am. Stds. made in ‘04 includes a tweed case with 50th Annie logo & a thick single ply 8-hole parchment guard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts