The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I like Tele's. Due to some life milestones I also have a soft spot for the year 2015. Anyways, cruising around the internet I came across something interesting. A new old stock 52 Tele with a korina body from Fender's 10 for 15 series. Suffice it to say, it's here now and I really couldn't be happier:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A korina Tele body? Interesting. Do you notice anything different about it? For instance, does it change any of a standard Tele's tonal properties? Does it enhance any? And what about weight?
Due to my work schedule this week I haven't had much time to sit down with it and feel it out. I'm really hoping to be able to make time over this upcoming long weekend. Regarding weight I dont have a kitchen or postage scale (although I probably should) but picking it up next to my alder bodied tele it feels about the same. Strumming it unplugged next to that same alder tele it seems quite a bit warmer/darker but I dont know how much of that would be attributed to the factory installed 5 year old strings vs the almost brand new wound 3rd string on my alder tele. I suppose I should change the strings on it in the interest of accuracy.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Sweet looking guitar. I have always liked the early 50s string tree placement. Lots of opportunity for good old fashioned behind the nut tickling. If your into that.
C

Reactions: Okay Player

·
Registered
24,122 Posts
Due to my work schedule this week I haven't had much time to sit down with it and feel it out. I'm really hoping to be able to make time over this upcoming long weekend. Regarding weight I dont have a kitchen or postage scale (although I probably should) but picking it up next to my alder bodied tele it feels about the same. Strumming it unplugged next to that same alder tele it seems quite a bit warmer/darker but I dont know how much of that would be attributed to the factory installed 5 year old strings vs the almost brand new wound 3rd string on my alder tele. I suppose I should change the strings on it in the interest of accuracy.
I'm a patient man. When you have a chance to provide a little more feedback, please do. In the meantime, enjoy!

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a patient man. When you have a chance to provide a little more feedback, please do. In the meantime, enjoy!
Okay, so I had a little time to sit down with it this evening before my patch cable decided it no longer wanted to participate. Now before I begin, please let me emphasize that I consider myself a novice guitar so if I say something that doesn't seem right feel free to ask for clarification. Bearing all that in mind and without further adieu:

Okay, so I own 2 Tele's this one, and an alder bodied American Performer. To get a feel for how the different wood affects tonal properties I figured I'd start by doing some unplugged noodling. They're both maple necks, they both sport traditional tele style bridges, shit, they're even both blonde. So outside of the neck profiles and body materials they're very similar guitars on paper. Now, the korina wears 9-42's where the performer wears 10-46's with a wound third. Unless I'm mistaken the heavier guage strings should be at least a little warmer, with the wound third adding to that if anything. What I found was completely the opposite. The korina had all the sustain that I've come to appreciate in my other string through body Tele, but was much, much darker. (?) Unlike the performer, and any other Tele I can think of that I've picked up and played unplugged, where I find the highs are accentuated over everything else. The korina seems to balance out the highs and lows leaving you with a Tele where the G and D strings get their time to shine rather than playing second fiddle to everything else.

Plugging them in (Amp is a 65 reissue Twin) makes for a difficult side by side comparison because the pickups are just so different, the performer has Texas Specials and the korina comes with American Vintage '52s. So I'm going to try to focus on the difference of them while plugged in, rather than the differences between how the pickups themselves sound. The performer with the TS is obviously very hot, but still holds that tradition of the telecaster where it take the string numbers 1-6 and treats them as if they're rankings. The '52s are a very traditional tele pickup, so all of that tradtional tele sound is there but again, this guitar doesn't seem to have the highs competing against the lows and the expense of the mids.

So, I guess that's my uh, review? Hope it answered some questions you may have had, if you've got anymore, or if something is unclear feel free to ask. Oh, I should have an appropriate scale sometime tomorrow, so I'll let you know what the weight of it is.

·
Registered
24,122 Posts
Thanks. I appreciate that a lot. It's obviously subjective and imprecise, but is about as insightful as anything one culd expect from even the most seasoned gear reviewer in a top-tier magazine. But you have given me some ideas for something I'd like to build...after I finish all the other projects on the go.

·
Premium Member
17,126 Posts
CONGRATS on the new and apparently very unique Tele. Thanks for the extensive review.

I'm certainly looking forward to learning more...and I'm not typically a "Tele guy"!

·
Premium Member
16,621 Posts
I'm gonna have to check to see if my 10-46 gauge has a wound third now.

·
Registered
24,122 Posts
I may or may not have a double bound pine tele body on the way for a partscaster, lol.
I have a new bandsaw, a couple pieces of mahogany I can route out for a chambered body, some nice semi-matched flamed maple pieces for a cap, some ivory-coloured binding material, and a gold-plated Telecaster bridge plate and saddles. I'm ready. I just need to find the time.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a new bandsaw, a couple pieces of mahogany I can route out for a chambered body, some nice semi-matched flamed maple pieces for a cap, some ivory-coloured binding material, and a gold-plated Telecaster bridge plate and saddles. I'm ready. I just need to find the time.
By the way, by use of a luggage scale I weighed the beast today. My alder bodied Tele came in at 7.6 lbs and the korina bodied Tele came in at 8.56 lbs. So from what I understand that would put it on the heavy side for a telecaster, but in my opinion not heavy for a solid body guitar.

·
Registered
24,122 Posts
I compare all solid-bodies to my '64 Epi Coronet, which probably comes in at well under 7 lbs.
That's not a diss or critique of other guitars or weights. I just have an unrealistic benchmark when comparing things.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts