The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fender American Performer Tele in satin surf green.

Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments String instrument

Tried to mod a tele years ago, installing an SD59. Never really got the balance or phasing to work right.

Fender got it working for me. The Yosemite pickups sound great (even if it is a lame name) and the 'bucker can be split-coiled with a pull of the tone knob. Fun guitar, so far. I'll know more after I jam with it this weekend.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Budda I noticed in your video, the other guitar player is playing something similar? Same color?

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice dark Board. Came close to picking up a sea foam green Tele a couple years back in a shop.
It was brought in from another store, so I was pleasantly surprised with the dark board. But it is also on the heavy side for a Tele (the good with the bad, I guess). As an LP player, it still isn't 'heavy AF' or anything like that, just maybe a half pound heavier than the red one they had in stock, or my Hwy 1 Texas Tele.

I played it for hours and in the mix, last night at band practice. I think it's the Tele 'swiss army knife' I was envisioning and trying to build 10 years ago. I love the range of tones, nothing too extreme one way or the other, just a nice sweep of sounds from full neck bucker to split neck bucker to the two middle settings to a great sounding tele bridge pup. Five usable settings and the grease bucket tone control works well with them.

I haven't A/B'd it with other guitars directly, but I have a feeling the output is quite low, considering the DC resistance of the pickups is 7.8 K or so. Which I suspect is something to do with how they achieved the balance of hum to split and neck to bridge - you can only reduce levels in a passive system, not add gain.

So far, very happy with it. It also serves a second purpose - it is the guitar I bought for myself on the day I retired (so now I have to keep it, no matter what LOL).

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love that colour combo. I prefer teles with a neck bucker, but I didn’t know they offered coil splitting too. Makes sense.
Me too. I'm mostly a 'neck bucker'/LP kinda guy but I do love that Tele bridge pup. So I always thought if i could meld those two, it would be perfect. I've tried quite a few and never been totally happy with them - even the ones with separate v/t controls. I think they did a really good job on the pickups for this guitar. I know some hardcore Tele guys are critical of them but they work for me. That's all I care about.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
So far, very happy with it. It also serves a second purpose - it is the guitar I bought for myself on the day I retired (so now I have to keep it, no matter what LOL).
Awesome, enjoy your retirement.

Reactions: High/Deaf

·
Premium Member
19,287 Posts
CONGRATS! Beautiful looking Tele. The neck is especially dark chocolaty...Yum.

ENJOY the guitar and retirement!

Given that I didn't buy myself a new guitar when I retired, do I still qualify?
Any statute of limitations on this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts