The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just completed my parts-build Tele, and I just picked up my new amp, so I guess it’s a new gear day thread.

The Tele:

2012 AVRI 64 Fender Telecaster body

USACG Roasted maple neck SSV 900 profile, 6125 frets, finished with Tru Oil, bone nut

Stock hardware (Replacing the plate and saddles with Rutters gear)

Budz 7.6k firebird in the neck / Fender Vintage 64 in bridge (changing the bridge to a Cavalier Huge Lion)

Overall, I’m pleased with how the guitar came out. I was toying with ordering a different body from USACG but this whole thing comes in at 7.25lbs and is pretty snappy, so I may just keep it as is.

Amp:

Solidgoldfx combo

Greg pulled off a pretty cool mash-up of two great amps - a Tweed Deluxe and a ‘62 Brownface Deluxe. The Tweed side is straight in with no tone control - it is not quite as saggy as an old Tweed, but has wicked pop to it - very snappy and touch sensitive. The Brownface side is also very snappy sounding, has more headroom, and sounds beautiful. The drive of this amp is amazing - no pedal needed, but it has a lot of headroom so getting that drive at low volumes will need a box or an attentuator.

20 Watts
All Hammond iron
PTP hand-wired
Emi Texas Heat speaker (may swap my JS1250 in to try)
33lbs

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah - it was fun - I had someone do the nut for the neck, and he did the final assembly because the body had to be routed for the neck pickup.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Very nice! You have inspired me to get the new neck on my tele.

Reactions: b-nads

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it just the angle the photo was taken at, or is the neck really a little wider than usual?

Good eye - neck is a little wider.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Looks great, at a glance it looks kind of like the old vintage hot rod Tele. I loved the mini humbucker in those. Congratulations.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That’s subliminally what I was goin for ;-). The AVRI Hot Rod I had is one I wish I had kept. The neck on this one feels and plays better though, and this alder body seems to have more resonance, but is brighter...that comparison is pretty fair considering I used the same pups in each.

·
Premium Member
17,352 Posts
Congrats! No idea solidgold was making amps...

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yup - this is the first of the line, I think. He had just finished up a sweet half power model when I picked this one up.

I’m gonna get a couple more days of playing in on it and do a full review in the amp section.

Reactions: Budda

·
Registered
569 Posts
I did not know Solidgoldfx did amps. Is it a one-off? It sounds intriguing - can we get a sound demo? Congrats.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is my intention - I’ll do a review with some sound in the amp section. I’m in studio with it this week.

Reactions: Ti-Ron
1 - 18 of 18 Posts