The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was completely off of Les Pauls but the chance to finally get a Gold Top for a good price caused me to get over that. So today I traded my 2013 Gibson SG Standard plus $400 for a Gibson Les Paul Signature T Gold Top. That model is basically a Traditional but with a '60s slim taper neck, locking tuners, and coil splitting (not that I am interested in that feature). Since I only paid $900 for the SG in the first place, the LP cost me a total of $1300.

Tonight I cleaned it up, polished it, oiled the fretboard, put on the strap buttons for my strap locks, replaced the amber knobs with gold reflector knobs, and put new strings on it. The bridge and tailpiece heights aren't right so the guitar isn't all that playable right now, but tomorrow I will take it in to a friend who is the guitar tech at my local L&M and he can give it a bit of a tweak to get it playing.

And based on the well known "pics or it didn't happen" rule, here is my new Gold Top:

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
Cool--enjoy...

Reactions: colchar

·
Administrator
17,302 Posts
Very nice and a great deal imho.

Yuck on the pointers though :)

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
This is exquisite! I have a soft spot for these magnificent guitars!

Have fun with it!

·
Premium Member
18,551 Posts
Congrats! That's 3 people buying GT's across two boards in a month I think haha. Maybe it's a sign.

Re: bridge height, you don't need to take it somewhere just grab a scewdriver that fits.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Beauty guitar. Goldies are so classy, which was Lester's point with the color choice. Same with the tuxedo Custom. A guitar for a guy in a suit and tie.

Congrats! That's 3 people buying GT's across two boards in a month I think haha. Maybe it's a sign.

Re: bridge height, you don't need to take it somewhere just grab a scewdriver that fits.
Screwdriver? Only for fakes. All you need with a real one is to screw up your bare fingers on those knurled knobs to adjust the bridge height.

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, you'd best start searching for one.

Oh I know, I just suck at doing setups. The guitar tech is a friend so won't charge me and I was going to be in the store while out shopping this afternoon anyway so why not let a pro deal with it?

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Screwdriver? Only for fakes. All you need with a real one is to screw up your bare fingers on those knurled knobs to adjust the bridge height.

I think he might have been referring to the tailpiece.

·
Administrator
17,302 Posts

I like the tailpiece clamped down hard against the body where possible. The bridge can easily be adjusted using the 2 thumb wheels until you get the action you prefer. Adjust the intonation and you're good to go. Take it to your friend if it needs a truss rod adjustment and you're not comfortable doing that, many aren't.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I think he might have been referring to the tailpiece.
Possibly. He did specifically say 'bridge height', though.

I like to slacken the strings before I adjust it, because it fricken hurts when I don't. But on my Gibsons, it doesn't have to be adjusted much (only slightly more than the tailpiece, which is pretty much set-and-forget for me).

·
Administrator
17,302 Posts
Possibly. He did specifically say 'bridge height', though.

I like to slacken the strings before I adjust it, because it fricken hurts when I don't. But on my Gibsons, it doesn't have to be adjusted much (only slightly more than the tailpiece, which is pretty much set-and-forget for me).
Yep, I always slacken the strings first.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts