The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

NGD

1K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  Louis 
#1 ·
New to me '81 Tokai LS50. Just cleaning it up a bit prior to a set up and I need to fix the output jack but she is in surprisingly good condition for a 36 year old guitar. Thanks to @hedzup for the trade.

Yes I will be removing the pickguard :)

See less See more
#18 ·
That's a nice guitar I love a Tokai plain top.

I don't see a centre seam in the top, I have an '82 and an '84, same model and colour as yours, both have 2pc centre seam solid tops, 2 pc tops is the norm and not always centre seam on LS50's and 60's.

Your top looks to be 1 piece, wonder if it's solid 1 pc or maybe a 1 pc veneer over solid, neither of which I've noticed on 1980's LS50 models before...

Anyway nice score I'm sure your going to like it, pups sound fine to me, I've never thought about changing them... maybe take a close up pic of the pup cavity walls to see how it's made.

#21 · (Edited)
That's a nice guitar I love a Tokai plain top.

I don't see a centre seam in the top, I have an '82 and an '84, same model and colour as yours, both have 2pc centre seam solid tops, 2 pc tops is the norm and not always centre seam on LS50's and 60's.

Your top looks to be 1 piece, wonder if it's solid 1 pc or maybe a 1 pc veneer over solid, neither of which I've noticed on 1980's LS50 models before...

Anyway nice score I'm sure your going to like it, pups sound fine to me, I've never thought about changing them... maybe take a close up pic of the pup cavity walls to see how it's made.
3 piece top on this one Jimmy, nice job of grain matching but the seams are just above and below the pup rings. Also has a 2 piece body. I put some Hipshot Locking tuners on that I had but they're not any good for LP's, I have some Grovers on order. The Hipshots aren't meant for headstocks over 1/2" thick which rules out any LP's I've owned. I originally bought them for the PRS Marsden but even it was too thick. Caveat Emptor. Here's a pic without the guard. Plays really nicely.

As you can maybe see not even tall enough to get the washer under the hex sleeve.

#19 ·
Nice addition. I agree on the pickguard. Whoever thought of putting such an ugly one on a guitar had no artistry in his genes.

#23 ·
Cool guitar.
I agree on the pickguard.
For Les Paul & LP style guitars I prefer to have no pickguard if you can see the woodgrain, and to have one if it is a solid colour you can't see through--but the pickguard should match.

Enjoy!

Reactions: davetcan
#24 ·
Thats a pretty CSB, give me interesting maple grain over showy flame anytime, and double cremes.
those knobs would be ditched if she were mine. reflectors, or creme speeds would be where I'd go.

Guitar enters stage right. Says "hold on to your pantses ladies, I-ma 'bout to curdle your girdle"

#25 ·
Thats a pretty CSB, give me interesting maple grain over showy flame anytime, and double cremes.
those knobs would be ditched if she were mine. reflectors, or creme speeds would be where I'd go.

Guitar enters stage right. Says "hold on to your pantses ladies, I-ma 'bout to curdle your girdle"
Knobs will be lovingly stored and replaced with cream speed knobs, I hate amber witch hats.

#32 ·
Congrats Dave. I'd love to give it a try. I've tried a couple at Capsule and they always outplayed the rest.

Is it blasphemy to refinish these? I can't imagine refinishing an illegal copy would do too much damage to the value, but what do I know?

what's the neck like?
Well I've seriously considered asking Alain if he'd like to refinish it :) I'm going to live with it for awhile and see if it grows on me. The neck is def NOT a '59, closer to a 60's, perhaps a tiny bit larger. Feels quite a lot like my '93 STD.

Just waiting for some Vineham '59 pups to arrive and some gold speed knobs and she'll be ready to rock.

Reactions: 12083
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.