The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Didn't know they made a scalloped brace FG (or even the 830) until I saw this and checked the L&M site. I'll have to check them out. Looks nice.

·
Premium Member
18,314 Posts
Congrats!!

I played an FG800M at the local L&M and was very impressed. If I wasn't looking for a smaller bodied guitar, I would have bought it.

I also played some FS800 series guitars and was reasonably impressed. I am patiently waiting for L&M to bring in an FS800T (tinted top). Seem like it is taking forever.

I think Yamaha will do well with this series.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
Better sounding than the Martin DX1 in your opinion? Since I respect your opinion, I'm going to have to have another try at it.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought the Martins sounded good but were too quiet for my needs.

I need a guitar to play unplugged around campfires with various other people playing guitar, talking, and the crackling of the fire, etc.

So I need a pleasing tone but also volume.

It's also personal preference.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's my complete list with my rating out of 5.

S&P Showcase Mahogany $899.00 4.00
Yamaha FG830 $399.00 4.00
Sigma DM ST $369.99 3.75
Sigma DM-18 $549.99 3.75
Sigma DR 1ST $429.99 3.75
Yamaha FG820 $349.99 3.75
Martin DX1AE $779.00 3.50
S&P Woodland Pro Spruce $619.00 3.50
Takamine GD20-NS $379.99 3.25
Taylor 110e $799.00 3.25
Eastman AC-DR1 $674.00 3.00
Seagull S6 Slim $399.00 3.00
Taylor 114e $799.00 3.00
Yamaha FG800 $269.99 3.00
Yamaha FG800M $249.99 3.00
Martin DX1RAE $779.00 2.75
Yamaha FG720S $329.99 2.50
Taylor Baby BT1 $459.00 2.00

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update to this.

The guitar had issues and I returned it to Cosmo for a full refund.

Before I got to try it for the first time they brought it out of their storage area and the repair shop lowered the action. Not sure exactly what they did but it was quick. I think they lowered the saddle and adjusted the truss rod.

After playing it at home for a bit I noticed it had some some severe buzzing on the A string around the 5th and 7th frets. The D and high E strings were also completely fretting out around the 12 fret.

I brought it back it for them to look at which is an hour drive for me. The repair guy checked it out and said they could fix it but gave me the impression that it was an unusual amount of repair needed for a new guitar and he actually recommended that I exchange it. I went back to the sales guy (who was super nice throughout) and explained what the repair guy had said. Their system showed they had another one in stock but they were unable to locate it. They asked me if I wanted them to order me one or if I wanted a refund. As I'm in Oakville and they are in Richmond Hill I opted for the refund and subsequently ordered one from Long and McQuade in Burlington. One thing I did notice was that the guitar did not have a lot of fall away in the upper frets. I'm guessing it would have needed fretwork.

Too bad. It sounded fantastic for open chords. Hopefully the next one does not have similar issues.

Lesson learned as well. When buying a guitar, play every fret on that guitar. Luckily it was brand new and I could return it.

Now to wait for L&M's order.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Noticed the price of those Martins has gone up by $30. Geesh. They were already on the high price end, compared to the others.

·
Premium Member
18,314 Posts
@Guncho I'm pleased to hear that this worked out reasonably well for you. Frustrating and disappointing for sure, but at least you appear to have been treated in a responsible and respectful manner throughout.

·
Premium Member
13,246 Posts
They also make an FS830 with a natural top....I'm in trouble now!!!..LOL
~$400.00 + tax = ~$452.00
~$400 + tax = $$420 in another part of the country :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
18,314 Posts
~$400 + tax = $$420 in another part of the country :rolleyes:
Rub it in!!

Try to remember (from your past) what we are going through back here...LOL

Out of curiosity, is there anything in Alberta that really surprised you re: how much more it costs out there?

·
Premium Member
13,246 Posts
Rub it in!! Out of curiosity, is there anything in Alberta that really surprised you re: how much more it costs out there?
Rent is cheaper - almost every apartment has an Apt. for Rent sign out front. Gas was 87.9 Yesterday. Rarely drink, but don't like the privatized liquor/beer stores ( A four-pack Guinness Tallboys cost $2 to $4 more depending where you get it). Food likely averages out 1% more here at most. I HATE humidity - don't have that here. Give me a cooler dryer summer anytime. I don't have too much a problem with the cold. A seniors monthly transit pass is $116.75 in Toronto. A seniors monthly transit pass is $15.00 in Edmonton.

I've noticed that it is easy to find a modest detached home in Edmonton for around $350 grand or so. In the GTA it is $800+ grand for any house

Reactions: greco

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
Guncho, I'm surprised L & M didn't have one in stock. They must be a big seller.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts