The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First up, a basically unplayed, 2011, Fender Eric Clapton in pewter, that was built in the Custom Shop, instead of the Main Line. At least that is what the tag states. The battery had a good to 2014 date and was dead.
Guitar String instrument Bass guitar Electric guitar Musical instrument

And second, a 2012, Fender Jeff Beck Stratocaster, also barely played.
Guitar Musical instrument String instrument Bass guitar String instrument

Both took some Deoxit to the input jacks, to bring to life. Both still have original strings. New strings and set up required.

I look forward to sorting things out. They sound like they have exceptional potential.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Nice score and you got both for a wicked price. I was shocked that they were even still on Kijiji when I looked a couple days ago. He was also selling a Dr. Z that I thought about picking up.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@losch79, I also got the Z for a few dollars more. It also sat for too long. A little maintenance and it will be a screaming little beast. I let it warm up until she was hot. The volume pot is touchy and needs cleaning. Might as well clean everything.

I would like to get the PPIMV installed by Dr Z.

·
Administrator
17,302 Posts
@losch79, I also got the Z for a few dollars more. It also sat for too long. A little maintenance and it will be a screaming little beast. I let it warm up until she was hot. The volume pot is touchy and needs cleaning. Might as well clean everything.

I would like to get the PPIMV installed by Dr Z.
Damn, I'm going to have to start living vicariously.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
@davetcan, funny that you talk about living vicariously through others.

Most of us have been living vicariously through your adventures in gear, for years.

I get a lucky break every once in a while. I honestly ignored the ads for almost two weeks, waiting for someone else to step up.

I initially inquired about the Clapton on the weekend while I couldn’t access that amount of cash. I then mentioned that if both guitars were still available come Tuesday or Wednesday, that I would take them both.

Today, a last second question about the Dr Z Monza, netted me an offer I couldn’t refuse.

Both guitars need maintenance, strings, and set up. The pickups sound amazing. The neck on the Clapton is amazing for small vintage frets. It has a feel that makes you want to play. The Beck is likely the most versatile, comfortable performer. The pickups are astounding with my latest preferred pedals. I need to do the work to the guitars, then put them through the paces with the amp collection. So far, I have only played through the ‘65 PRRI Fudge Brownie, and a handful of pedals. With the exception of a few minutes with the Monza.

I honestly don’t know which guitar will come out on top. Both look and feel like keepers.

The Monza amp is very, very, LOUD! But gritty, and gritty very early.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
It's rare that you see someone in our area selling nice stuff at a great price. It's always the same two or three guys that are way overpriced or looking for trades without giving a price on their gear. I'm so happy you got them... I briefly thought about emailing him about a package deal for everything, but cooler heads prevailed! I'm certain I would have gotten into way too much trouble if I brought home more gear this close to Christmas.

The Monza is a beast of an amp, and can get hairy really quickly. It also takes pedals nicely.

It's going to be interesting to see which guitar wins out.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@losch79, the seller is fairly new to the area. He is an artistic guy, who was also a musician. He has been divesting some gear for several reasons. He had some good stories, including being on stage playing, and getting a surprise visit by Eric Clapton for a couple of songs. It just sounded like he chose to back off from playing out since he moved to the area.

The seller said his original Blackie was stolen and his insurance got him this pewter version as a replacement. He also said that there were no Clapton models available at the time, so this one was built in the Custom Shop, to meet the need. The inspection tag is clearly stamped CS. When I dig into the guitar, I will see if there are any other indications of Custom Shop build. The quality of the work on the neck is obvious to the eyes and the hands.

When I clean up the Monza, I will do a new amp day post, with gut shots and such.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Very cool story. Seems like he should try to get out and play in our area. We could use a some new life injected into the scene. If you ever do decide to sell the Clapton or Beck down the road, I might know a guy who would be interested!

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@losch79, I briefly had a 1989 Stratocaster plus with LSR, TBX, original gold Lace pickups, locking tuners and such. Loved everything about it except the fret wear. The time I spent with it taught me something about what I might want. I also like EMG SA and SC pickups. I spent time learning about the other options out there. This kind of pointed me in the direction of a Clapton, and a Beck. I already made my own Gilmour out of a MIM.

I returned the Strat Plus to L&M, and decided to wait for other opportunities in the used market. I felt that I could do better, and I did. It only took a month for this to fall into my lap, literally, with bonus gear items, in better condition.

My philosophy of everything happens for a reason rings true again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts