The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know very little about this guitar. What I do know is it's a 2014 PRS SE Custom 24 with a Floyd Rose 1000. I don't know the colour but I think it's Vintage Sunburst.

The stock pickups were replaced with Seymour Duncan Blackouts and the middle position no longer does anything and the coil tap was pot was removed and replaced with a non-pull pot.

Anyone know much about this? Paid $499.99 from L&M. Guitar is blemish free. I took the Floyd Rose apart, cleaned it all up, oiled the fretboard and re-strung it with Elixir Optiwebs 10-46s.

Not sure if I'm going to like the active pickups. I'll play with it a while and see. Any reason why these pickups wouldn't support both pickups on at the same time?

IMG_4332.JPG

IMG_4331.JPG

·
Premium Member
17,365 Posts
The middle position should be both.

Assuming its a stock trem as they introduced a FR model.

You got a good price on that guitar. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I think it was routed out for the Floyd rose , and a locking nut installed along with the pickups..so it must have a router out compartment at the back for a 9 volt battery. They spent a lot of hrs and money modifying it ,to what they thought would make it a better player.I think they sell for 1050.00 new .

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it was routed out for the Floyd rose , and a locking nut installed along with the pickups..so it must have a router out compartment at the back for a 9 volt battery. They spent a lot of hrs and money modifying it ,to what they thought would make it a better player.I think they sell for 1050.00 new .
It's a factory FR from PRS. They made them in 2014 for a limited run of 50 or so in each colour (not 100% on the limited edition info). Yup, they sell for around that new. The pickups though are apparently a $300.00 upgrade.

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The middle position should be both.

Assuming its a stock trem as they introduced a FR model.

You got a good price on that guitar. Enjoy it!
Ya, I may bring it back to have their tech fix the selector switch wiring.

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to mention, the battery is stuffed into the control cavity.

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I brought it back. The middle switch position wasn't doing anything. Their tech took a look at it and said the whole thing is a mess. They going to re-wire it. They seemed a little pissed that someone didn't do a very good job assessing the guitar when it was brought in. But, they owned the problem and promised to make it right.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
That's a great deal. Was just looking at those PRS SEs. I like the Hollowbody custom 22. The access to the higher frets is excellent.

·
Premium Member
17,365 Posts
So, I brought it back. The middle switch position wasn't doing anything. Their tech took a look at it and said the whole thing is a mess. They going to re-wire it. They seemed a little pissed that someone didn't do a very good job assessing the guitar when it was brought in. But, they owned the problem and promised to make it right.
Yeah, it sucks when mistakes cost money. One of our old bassists bought his SVT used via L&M bloor, and there was an issue - so they had to retube it.

Hopefully it exceeds expectations when it comes back!

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Definitely the sign of a good business - "This was our issue. Let us fix it for you."

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
It's a factory FR from PRS. They made them in 2014 for a limited run of 50 or so in each colour (not 100% on the limited edition info). Yup, they sell for around that new. The pickups though are apparently a $300.00 upgrade.
They still make an SE Floyd Custom 24, but not in that colour, so maybe it was a limited run finish.
SE Custom 24 “Floyd” - 2019

Congrats on the NGD!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
It's a PRS SE. Whats not to like? I have three, plus a couple others made by the same company (World Instruments). What kind of wood was under the Floyd route? The tops are usually a veneer. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's a PRS SE. Whats not to like? I have three, plus a couple others made by the same company (World Instruments). What kind of wood was under the Floyd route? The tops are usually a veneer. Enjoy!
I forgot to check but I expect it to be a maple cap with a flame maple veneer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts