The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

NGD..vintage Junior..change the bridge??

2K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  tonewoody 
#1 ·
Finally scored an original finish Junior. Not the singlecut I wanted....but its got Les Paul on the headstock!
Last year with his name from the Golden age, 1963.
Plus, it was a one family guitar and is 100% original. My first vintage Gibson without a cracked headstock or other issues!

Its kind of silly as a 1964 SG Jr sells for 1000-1500$ less.

Oh well, and someone famous once said regarding vintage guitars:
"You didn't pay too much, you just bought it too early"

P-90 sounds great.
Neck is big, but hopefully I will get used to it.
Is it really worth upgrading the bridge? I know the G string won't intonate properly.
Cheers

Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments String instrument
Guitar String instrument String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments
Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Electric guitar Plucked string instruments

See less See more
#6 ·
Its made for a wound G string. Lots of people love the mojoaxe. There is a bit of slight ringing/buzz as the slots are worn.
I was hoping for advice from someone who has changed the lightning bridge for a mojoaxe.
It doesn't bother me that much.
I am glad I got this one. I almost caved twice and bought Walnut finish Jr's.
I love the cherry finish. Well worth the wait.

#7 ·
I know the G string won't intonate properly.
Why does the bridge need upgrading?
I'm with Sulphur on this - that's an older tailpiece/bridge and intended for wrapped G strings. For plain G strings, the notch needs to be much further back. The studs seem to be equi-distant from the centre of the string travel, so just about any stop tailpiece/bridge with intonatable saddles should work.

Very nice guitar, by the way!

John
thegrumpyoldman

G
#8 ·
You only have to worry about the G string intonation as you go up the fretboard.
If you are up there, just bend the string a bit and no one will notice.
It's a beauty. Keep her as is or get a 3x3 like in sulpher's pic.

#16 ·
I just noticed..i have an eL Degas set neck Les Paul Special for sale. I was looking at it and it has an older Epiphone bridge which has the proper spacing. I should swipe it for the Junior, but I have a guy coming to look at it tomorrow.
I guess I can put the original back on and just knock a few bucks off of the price.

#19 ·
I’ve had this situation many times... since it’s completely reversible in about 10 minutes, buy an aged wrap that has the G correct for a plain G and tuck the original in the case. You’ll be happier to play in tune. The G on the vintage bridge is way out... so unless you have no perception of intonation... make the change.

#22 ·
I just noticed..i have an eL Degas set neck Les Paul Special for sale. I was looking at it and it has an older Epiphone bridge which has the proper spacing. I should swipe it for the Junior, but I have a guy coming to look at it tomorrow.
I guess I can put the original back on and just knock a few bucks off of the price.
The only problem I can remotely see here is that the Japanese may be metric and the Gibson imperial. . Again I emphasize remotely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.