The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this come up on Kijiji last night and snapped her up today. I thought I was getting some sort of early version of the La Patrie Étude, but was very surprised when I went to pick it up and saw what was in the case. I have never seen a Norman like this before and I'm guessing it's around 40 years old. The owner had inherited it from her father and put it in her closet for 30 years. The cardboard alligator case is (laughably) in the finest condition that I've ever seen one in. As for the guitar, it has a crack in the top that I'll need to address but is otherwise in reasonable order.

There was another person there before me who passed on it. I think he may have been confused by the bolt on neck, but I've seen that before. That's the way old Norman's were built.

On to the pics. (And just in time for Canada Day!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
500 Posts
Perfect way to celebrate -- Happy Canada Day!

Congrat's on the cool old Canadian guitar, and case. Dig it!

..................." I use smelly, old, chicken McNuggets to catch them real old cases! "............

Reactions: Lord-Humongous

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
I guess you beat me to it-the caps hide 2 screws-even if you remove them, the neck will stay on, as those guitars also had wood dowels holding the neck to the body.

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
Send an email to [email protected] they can tell you a lot more about it. It is a very odd model number being it starts with a "C" and not a "B". It does say handmade and when I look at the details I have to agree looks like everything is done by hand. Nice score

Reactions: Lord-Humongous

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Send an email to [email protected] they can tell you a lot more about it. It is a very odd model number being it starts with a "C" and not a "B". It does say handmade and when I look at the details I have to agree looks like everything is done by hand. Nice score
First thing I did was shoot them an email! I am really curious to date it. It is a C model, presumably because it is a nylon folk/classical style guitar. It is very playable and the neck angle is just about prefect in my estimation. The saddle might get a shave as it's clearly not been touched since it was built. The strings are disgusting, there is a new/old set in the case but they can stay in their package. I need to head out to L&M and pick out some nylon strings and set it up. Not sure if I'll set it up as a classical or squeak the action a bit lower. Most importantly, I need to decide how I will repair the crack in the top. It's stable and old, but I'm fussy. I'll post a pic or start a separate thread on that when I have a chance.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
IMHO, that is a very nice find, L-H. If it is 40 years old, it would be just after or just before Robert Godin purchased the Norman guitar factory. Here is a little bit of information on what happened. (No deer but a guitar factory). You will get this when you read the article. lol

Builder Profile: Godin Guitars

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
Sweet

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
I read somewhere that when Norman was starting up his business he rented a D18 or 28 maybe and took it apart to see how they were built. Eventually he re- assembled the Martin guitar and took it back to the rental place which was kind of a mom and pop joint with a fairly strict business model. Pop took one look at the Martin guitar, wasn't having none of it, and busted Norman's nose.

Norman made good guitars though. I have a B20(6) bought in 2000 and it has held up pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I read somewhere that when Norman was starting up his business he rented a D18 or 28 maybe and took it apart to see how they were built. Eventually he re- assembled the Martin guitar and took it back to the rental place which was kind of a mom and pop joint with a fairly strict business model. Pop took one look at the Martin guitar, wasn't having none of it, and busted Norman's nose.
Haha! That might be a true story, there are some small town areas in Quebec that are fairly rough and tumble.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi all, new here, I can answer a bit about your guitar.
C goes for Classical
The white label was used between 1973-1975
Serial 1007 means it is the 7th C-20
The rosette and back strip were hand made by Normand Boucher
The story about taking apart a Martin never happened...
Normand had a Martin 00-40H of his own given by is father in the '30s
Normand made quite a few classical guitars from 1967 to 1971 before they where using labels
Those are scrarce and hard to find
Rosewood may be Braz, at the time they were using whatever was found
Dan

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi again
Checked out my archives
C-20 serial 1007 went out the shop on july 8 1974
Total of 12 were made in 1974

Could you confirm it is an X braced, not fan braced
Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey true, good story
Maybe I'm wrong just never heard of it
I know Normand spent hours and hours with a flashlight and a mirror exploring and measuring is own OO Martin.
It is most probably true that he borrowed a Martin D for measurement and most probably a Gibson 24.75 short scale
A guy came to the shop one day to get is Martin D-35 fixed. Normand lend him Norman a B-50. The guy never came back.
Apperently the D-35 was not that great sounding and ended up in the back room. It was later falsely knowned to be the origin of Norman guitars.
It is now owned by Claude, Normand's son
Dan

1 - 20 of 38 Posts