The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recent experience made me wonder : If you ever happen to order a guitar through a local store, would you prefer living by yourself the unboxing thrill or have the dealer do it before you come to pick up the beauty ?

Reactions: Budda

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
My recent experience made me wonder : If you ever happen to order a guitar through a local store, would you prefer living by yourself the unboxing thrill or have the dealer do it before you come to pick up the beauty ?
I've had a few guitars shipped to me. If there was ever any thrill in the unpacking part of receiving them I don't remember it; it wore off fast if there was.

If the dealer is any good the guitar is polished up and at least close to playable when I go to pick it up, and they've dealt with the cardboard and any other packing materials. That wins for me.

·
Premium Member
18,576 Posts
Unboxing is only a thrill when you take a bunch of goofy pictures of the process, just to show your forum buddies in your ngd thread. Aside from that, its just making a mess haha.

I unboxed my last ngd at l&m.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I’d rather find any problems before the guitar leaves the store. Twice, one Taylor, one Gibson, new guitars have needed some work that was discovered by unboxing in the store. It was minor in both cases and covered by the store but I prefer to find any problems before I pay my money.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Along the lines with what @Kerry Brown said:

When the Fender American Specials were first introduced, I order a 'burst Tele. A week or two later, I get the call. They proudly dig out this unopened box, pull out the guitar bag, open it up and expose ................. a Strat headstock, and then a black Tele body with a humbucker, and then a large black pickguard with 4 knobs. It was a Tele Custom. I give the employee my best "WTF" look.

They dug around a bit and found my new AS Tele hanging on the wall, for sale. I guess it wasn't a very good guitar because no one bought it in that amount of time. I eventually dealt it because I found a much nicer Hwy 1 shortly after buying that one. But it kind of crushed my one and only 'order a new guitar and have it unboxed in front of me' moment.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These quite early notes point toward my own thoughts after a bad experience : does a car dealer invite you to get your new car directly on the van or does he get it prepared and inspected before you come to pick it up ?

Unboxing before the customer now appears to me a bad idea unless it's a fake for the show while the store has actually already fully inspected and prepared the instrument. It would avoid problems like I and others encountered.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
My last car would not have been drivable without several hours of work and programming, and probably doesn’t meet provincial standards.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But if you leave the box at the store you won’t be able to sell it on kijiji.
Nor on eBay or reverb either.
I always have at least one empty box in the basement "just in case"

Reactions: fretzel

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sounds like a question for the Acoustic Guitar Forum! You can probably get a good half dozen string recommendations at the same time. Oh and Scott will sell you a $30 US guitar pick but charges $33 ??shipping?? To Canada. B#(*:cool:
(All in fun)

·
Registered
138 Posts
It depends on the situation I guess.. If I ever have the means to order something really custom and exciting I'd like to be the one to open it up.. for anything else, I'd rather just take a guitar home than have to deal with all the packaging and everything.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like a question for the Acoustic Guitar Forum! You can probably get a good half dozen string recommendations at the same time. Oh and Scott will sell you a $30 US guitar pick but charges $33 ??shipping?? To Canada. B#(*:cool:
(All in fun)
?? Thread mismatch ? ;-)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I don’t know if I can trust a store to do set-ups anymore. I think I’d open it in store to make sure it was correct with no rash, then split. My local L&M got in three Paul Reed Smiths recently. Not PRS, the real ones. Two of the three were covered in sticky finger prints, the third was a flat cherry finish so it hid the ****. All three guitars had maximum string action. I looked at the saddles, they were maxed out. None of the three in tune. All hovering around $2600. Too much incompetence in the biz these days to let them handle my new pride and joy,

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I would have the store do it before I got there. If there is an issue with the guitar, you can refuse to take it. It's that simple.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts